Top Speed and 0-60 1998 Accord V6

Celidor

Reaction score
I don't think shifting manually in the auto is actually any more detrimental than leaving it in D4 because it is the exact same feeling of a downshift whether you put the pedal down or manually shift with the gear shifter. I can't know for certain but my auto tranny has lasted... a long frickin time, and I will automatically downshift during passionate driving over waiting the slightly longer delay of when you just put the pedal down. As well I will go into D3 to help slow me down when going under 80km. any higher speed it still downshifts but feels too rough for my liking. And even into gear 2 at under 40km. So far nothing bad has ever happened. I don't know off the top of my head how far my tranny has gone. But it's over 200,000km.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Downshifting like that would be bumpy as hell since you can't revmatch, lol. If you search the site a bit about driving the auto like that, you'll see why you shouldn't do it. But you seem like the type of person who is going to do what you're going to do, so no argument here.

Bax

Reaction score
if you read the previous post, i got a kick outta it
:smash:

tumblr_lkn3geYAEP1qh3tf2o1_400.gif

JetLife

Reaction score
I don't think shifting manually in the auto is actually any more detrimental than leaving it in D4 because it is the exact same feeling of a downshift whether you put the pedal down or manually shift with the gear shifter. I can't know for certain but my auto tranny has lasted... a long frickin time, and I will automatically downshift during passionate driving over waiting the slightly longer delay of when you just put the pedal down. As well I will go into D3 to help slow me down when going under 80km. any higher speed it still downshifts but feels too rough for my liking. And even into gear 2 at under 40km. So far nothing bad has ever happened. I don't know off the top of my head how far my tranny has gone. But it's over 200,000km.

yeah man i do that same thing in mine, and i haven't had any signs of my tranny blowing out any time soon 144,xxx

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
Downshifting like that would be bumpy as hell since you can't revmatch, lol. If you search the site a bit about driving the auto like that, you'll see why you shouldn't do it. But you seem like the type of person who is going to do what you're going to do, so no argument here.

also imagine what the ecu is thinking after prolonged driving like that...it's going to be pissssssed

:lawl:

no but seriously, I imagine it does actually affect the natural ebb and flow of things in the ecu to detrimental effect.

"but...but I'm supposed to choose when this gear does this...not you human scum"

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
"How dare you take away the one thing I live for..." *explosion ending in a pile of metal shards that use to be your auto

Celidor

Reaction score
OP, in saying you don’t understand how the i4 could be faster than the V6, after it’s been explained a few times, and especially in saying you don’t think/want to believe that i/h/e bolt ons would make no difference after me telling you…saying the car is slow is all that can be said in an attempt to derail your notion that because it’s a V6 with a listed 200hp that it should automatically be faster than an i4. I appreciate your enthusiasm for this car, I love them as well, but you have to be open to the possibility that it’s not all you think it is and listen to reason. That is my interpretation based on what you’ve been saying, so take it for what you will. But if you’re tired of hearing it, then stop and listen to what we’ve been telling you since we’re all long time owners/modders, and just enjoy the Accord for what it is, a nice looking, somewhat fuel efficient, somewhat dependable, well built, cheap to own family car with sufficient power for daily needs.

Well, I have come to learn, partly through these forums, that the manual I4 is slightly faster on 0-60 times or possibly near identical to the v6. But soon after that the V6 will catch up and pass the manual i4. I never said I didn't believe it was possible the manual was faster, I just didn't think it was true. And of course it is upsetting to think that a more fuel efficient version of the car you own is also faster. It's like what is good about the V6 then? But now understanding that it is slower until it gets up to high speed it makes much more sense to me as from my personal experience I've always noticed it takes off okay from a stop but then is noticably sluggish for what it feels capable of until it gets a little faster and then it takes off. It would seem to me that the V6 is indeed faster in many ways. But where racing is concerned in a tight course with a lot of turns the i4 manual may win out.
What I'm tired of hearing is people saying 8 seconds from 0-60 is slow. I just don't agree. Having a 6 second 0-60 is nice and I'd prefer that kind of pick up in an everyday sedan. But to have it in 8 isn't slow either. I didn't think we were comparing it to high performance vehicles.

Your and my definitions of ‘racing’ are on completely different planes, so I’m just not going to go there. All I can say is, competitive driving between two parties is racing.

My definition of racing is at least two parties speeding as fast as they can to reach a destination first. Therefore determining a winner.

And yes. I do not ‘think’, but know that bolt ons like i/h/e will do little to nothing for these cars. The Accord was built for economy, any sort of racing pedigree just isn’t there. It’s a harsh reality that these cars require a lot of time and money to be fast. Bolt ons will make a nice sound, and maybe you’ll gain a a pony or two…but if you want a Honda that will respond to bolt ons, look for a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6MT or 2004 and later Accord. If you don’t want to believe me, that’s fine. But spend some time searching the site and reading, and you’ll understand where I’m coming from.

Really? Totally not worth it for new intake and exhaust? That is disappointing I'd like to know exactly what kind of increase it really gives to decide if it is worth it on my own though. 2-3 for a whole new piping system seems pathetic though so I hope you are exaggerating how bad it is.

As for racing with an auto, my opinion is the result of me being a purist. A manual gives you control over the car, and the power band. And this is what matters in racing, having readily available power on demand as a result of control of the torque curve. Autos are built for efficiency and comfort, unless you take a double clutch paddle shift transmission out of a Ferrari or the like, an auto will not let you rev as high. Or what about starting? Taking off from the line is the same every time in an auto, but with a manual you can choose to build up the revs then drop the clutch to launch, or you can choose to take off a different way depending on the vehicle’s setup. And most types of racing involve the use of manuals, F1, LeMans, Nascar, Dakar rally, etc etc etc. Objectively, I can’t really see how you can say “having manual control of the clutch doesn't make the difference between a race and a cruise”, but I guess you’re entitled to your opinion.

I understand and agree with the reasons you would use manual on any car you wanted to consider a racing car. You want to trim off the weight and you want the most efficient use of power. I believe I have heard that CVTs are even more efficient but the weight gained outweighs the gain in efficiency. You can actually rev up the rpms on any auto for a jumpstart but I don't even want to say how to do it though, as it is not recommended, it should be obvious to most how you can do it on an auto. I did it once out of curiousity but I am aware it is not at all good for the life of the tranny. But it was still fun. I'm sure it is extra wear even on a manual. Not for some older rusty car to do.

Slowrider, ease up man. When I joined this forum, I had no prior experience with forums so I did not know the idiosyncrasies of posting, quoting, etc. No need to rip the guy for it, we tell a lot of new members to use that function.
Thanks for that I don't know why he seems out to get me. :thinking:
Maybe looking for someone to be a punching bag.

Back