tranny fluid.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Yea and I have no aftermarket tranny cooler, I've thought about it before but it looked complicated at the time and I've never revisited the idea.

Just be nice to your car and check its fluids regularly

will do...anything to save big $$ in the long run

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
there a lot of wat kind of fluid but miliage is a big concern as well. my brother(all around mech) and a good freind (works as mech at honda) both have said that messing with a auto tranny after 120k miles.. bad mojo... high risk of damageing clutches...

reason is aas they said:

the tranny fluid is high in detergent so it may break down clutches that are already at there max potintial... usally honda recommends service of tranny at certian times not wen u feel like its needed...

just puttn this out there..

i got 185k on mine 02 se auto and thought about this myself after it sliped once... but glad i didnt hasnt slipd since...

J30MAN

Reaction score
so your saying i shouldn't change my tranny fluid because i have 125K??

ejreams

Reaction score
Last edited:

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
I'm sorry but that sounds like paranoia to me.

Even if there are 'detergents' having thinned out tranny fluid would be worse, unless you feel its a good idea to overheat your tranny.

Just check it by sight and smell.
If it seems bad, I say change it but do as you wish.

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/articles/1418-making-most-transmission-fluids.html

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2637335

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2846665

im just relaying is all... i respect and follow what they say when it comes to engines and trannys ... no matter wat 6thgen autos are gunna fail faster than most honda trannys they are just prone to it.

Last edited:

rafalc

Reaction score
I have the same problem on hand. Ive got 115k and I believe the last time the fluid was replaced was at 30k ... and thats a MAYBE since I bought it certified at 36k.

Now 115k and after calling 4 different Honda dealerships, 3 out of the 4 told me to leave it alone. They told me that if it wasnt done on a regular basis, replacing it now may only cause problems where there was no problems to begin with. i also found this strange but 3 out of 4 dealerships....they must know something right?

Ive been tempted to replace it but Ill hold off. My tranny has not cause me any issues yet so Ill just hope it will continue to perform for a bit longer.

Another strange thing is that the Honda manual says to replace tranny fluid after 6yrs or 120k (I think thats the correct number I read) but Honda dealerships say you have to do it every 30k. When i asked them about it they said that if my tranny breaks and I try to get a free one by showing them what the manual says.....Honda is only going to tell me that something else caused it just to get out of the free replacement.

Anybody has any similar experiences? Anybody replaced their fluids after at least 70k of riding on the old one?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
ejreams said:
I'm sorry but that sounds like paranoia to me.

Even if there are 'detergents' having thinned out tranny fluid would be worse, unless you feel its a good idea to overheat your tranny.

Just check it by sight and smell.
If it seems bad, I say change it but do as you wish.

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/articles/1418-making-most-transmission-fluids.html

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2637335

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2846665
Its no paranoia, its best to just leave a high miledge transmission alone. The clutch packs sometimes are at their peak and the contaminated fluid is actually helping them grab.

I know this from first hand experience, people do more harm than good and its not wise to change powertsteering fluid as well in cars that use atf.

Word of advice is, if the transmission was not serviced regularly. Leave it alone.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
I know this from first hand experience, people do more harm than good and its not wise to change powertsteering fluid as well in cars that use atf.

care to elaborate? :thinking:

so, we can't change PS fluid ever? that's what i'm reading... :eh:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
care to elaborate? :thinking:

so, we can't change PS fluid ever? that's what i'm reading... :eh:
Hondas dont use atf for their ps. And their isnt a service recommended interval anyways. And yes, if you dont change ur transmission or ps atf regularly the fluid breaks down vital parts and the dirty fluids actually help keep oil pressure up and seals sealed. Changing atf after so many neglected miles has almost always bad effects sooner or later, and this is for transmissions or ps unites that use atf.

After seeing bad transmissions and having to replace my rack and pinion. I alwAys listen to what reliable mechanics say, even if it goes against my judgement.

ltq88120

Reaction score
Its shifting hard because your transmission is waiving the white flag. If you have not changed your fluid in a long time. I would just leave it, changing the fluid after its already been a while on a dying tranny and kill it and cause it to slip.

Its no myth, happened to me.

yes i agree

some people say that if the fluid not change for long time it is dirty they like sand paper help grip the gear, i dont know if i say it right (poor english)

if u did change it, put new fluid and the LUCAS tranny thing it will help.

Back