Tranny problem :( blinking d4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwn2thalastroac

Reaction score
While on the freeway, im driving and out of nowhere it revs really high and the motor doesnt move. The d4 on my cluster starts to blink and now my car wont engage in 3rd or 4th gear. I have a 98 sedan accord, vtec. whenever its tries to go to 3rd or 4th, it just goes back to 2nd. any ideas?

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah... junk tranny. More specifically, the 3rd and 4th gear clutch packs are toast. Rebuild or replace.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
if you hook a scan tool up to it and it comes up with a code saying "incorrect gear ratio...." then you know its junk. id definitely check it out, it might be something simple like a shift solenoid or something. dono how many miles you got on your automatic but i got 165k on mine and it still runs fine.

dwn2thalastroac

Reaction score
i have 161k miles. Im thinking about callign honda for all my recall parts to be done and the tranny work to be done. where can i get the scan tool, and wheres the harness?

TheHunter

Reaction score
Sounds like your tranny is toast, if you change the fluid it might band aid for a few more miles, but not many (like enough to get you to a repair shop). Time for a manual swap. :thumbup:

dwn2thalastroac

Reaction score
Sounds like your tranny is toast, if you change the fluid it might band aid for a few more miles, but not many (like enough to get you to a repair shop). Time for a manual swap. :thumbup:

yea im thinkin bout dropping an H22 with tiptronic since my buddy will get me both tranny and motor for 800, this accord was meant to be my cruiser, i was gonna start an EK or EJ project soon but this tranny problem killed it :(

silverbullet99

Reaction score
i have 161k miles. Im thinking about callign honda for all my recall parts to be done and the tranny work to be done. where can i get the scan tool, and wheres the harness?

the honda dealership will have a scan tool and check your codes for you. just tell them your D4 light is blinking and they'll know what to do. they'll tell you if your tranny is junk or not. cross your fingers, hopefully its just a shift solenoid or something simple on the outside of the tranny.

kurtage77

Reaction score
yea im thinkin bout dropping an H22 with tiptronic since my buddy will get me both tranny and motor for 800, this accord was meant to be my cruiser, i was gonna start an EK or EJ project soon but this tranny problem killed it :(

hell if you can get it done for 800, i'd take that up in a second!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back