Transmission starting to go...slipping...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice info Clevor, that could help a lot of people. Just need to be sure to find a rebuilder that will do a thorough job/quality work. Repped.

Clevor

Reaction score
Nice info Clevor, that could help a lot of people. Just need to be sure to find a rebuilder that will do a thorough job/quality work. Repped.

I am taking apart my BX7A now. Problem is, I can see a lot of places where the 'pros' will take shortcuts. The rebuild kit I bought cost $280 alone, but it's the 'whole kitchen sink' kit with Raybestos clutches. It still didn't come with the gasket/screen for one of the solenoids, and I had to pay $21 for one from the dealer.

Are the pros changing out all seals and o-rings? The three big locknuts at the ends of the internal shafts cost me $70 just for the nuts and conical washers alone. Honda recommended new ones, but I bet the pros just reuse them and pocket the savings.

The Translab kit says pump gear clearances are critical; is it being checked correctly? Look for scoring in one area of the valve body, is that being done? Are all the clutch pack clearances being checked? I see a lot of internal casting flash and sharp edges on the tranny housings which I will deburr.

A lot of rebuilders see all the clutch debris and so just clean it out and change the clutches and back together it goes with the cheapest rebuild kit available. And these shops are charging $3500-4000 for a rebuild in my town.

As the saying goes, if you want things done right, you have to do it yourself.

My only complaint about Translab is I e-mailed the tech guy with some questions and he never replied.

Back