Turbo Manifold or Turbo Header

simon_y

Reaction score
So I was planning on boosting this summer and I'm slowly collecting parts I need. Now, I've gotten to the exhaust part. I don't exactly know which one to get.

I've heard the headers can break because its made from thinner metal then the Cast Iron Log Manifolds. But then people told me that the Cast Iron Log Manifold can crack over time because it can't cope with the expanding and contracting of the manifold because it's casted.

Logs are cheaper and sure as hell look more heavy duty, but the Turbo headers are suppose to flow better because their all equal lengths.

I'm not talking about Ramhorns because those custom made for me will run me $600-$900, which is, a lot. lol.

I don't know what to doooo!!!!:eh: BUT, the 2nd one MIGHT make contact with my rubber AC line which runs in front of my radiator which might cause a problem when everything is bolted in. I don't really want the turbo itself to be touching my AC line, nothing good can come out of it lol.

The Log shouldn't make contact with the AC line cause it doesn't stick the turbo that far away from the engine. I won't know everything until I order it but I don't wanna order it and then have it make contact with it cause it pushes the turbo out to far.

282896552_tp.jpg

Or

SSMF-HPrelude9296-002.jpg

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I totally see your dilemma. You may have to make some sacrifices. If you want the turbo manifold, you are go ing to have to bend, reroute, or otherwise stretch away that AC line to prevent contact, or remove the AC period. If you get the cast iron manifold, you already listed the cracking issue, and also there is a flow issue. http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html should be a good source to compare manifolds. If you get a log one, make sure it's the best 'style' where the wastegate comes off the top like the one you have pictured, that way it gets even flow from all cylinders. Hope that sheds some light for ya.

- Nikita

Atreidies

Reaction score
Unhook the a/c line brace by the battery. This will give you a little more slack to get that flex line out of the way. Even the solid lines can be bent a little bit, but ONLY one time, and ONLY one way. As far as mani's, is you can get a custom manifold made by Weirtech, he does quality work for a great price (K20 turbo mani is $500). All he needs is a manifold gasket and a few dimensions. Spend the money now or spend it again when it breaks.

Last edited:

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
I would look around on the web for h22 turbo set ups pick a nice manifold that you wont want to upgrade and get that one. you can probably find a used h22 manifold that description.

check out spoolinperformance they make nice ac compatable manifolds and they are reasonable as far as shipping and price goes too. weirtech also ids very reputable

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
O yeah if you want ot use a stock front motor mount without too crazy of exhaust piping I would reccomend getting a top mount manifold if possible

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just get a DEI hi temp protective sleeve to put over the A/C if you're that worried about it.

Just go spoolinperformance. I've also seen that OBX has a kit on ebay with manifold and downpipe.

mraw112

Reaction score
cast any thing is usually high in silicon which means it wont expand that much at all. Look at the turbine housings on the turbos. they are cast as well. If you want to get a cheap route i would rater trust a cheap cast manifold that a cheap welded manifold.

simon_y

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies you guys. I checked out Spoolin and they have alot of nice stuff. They even have a Packed with manifold, downpipe and dump tube. But unfortunately it's not AC compatible which is a big downer. Weirtech is local so I can drop by and ask them when I get a chance.

Removing AC is not an option for me. lol.

I was looking at a Greddy bolt on kit for the 97-01 Preludes, I know most stuff will fit, but the downpipe and piping will need some modifications. For the most part it'll be somewhat bolt on. What do you guys think? It will definatley save me some hassle of finding everything and piecing everything together.

I've searched a lot and haven't found really anything bad about the Greddy kit.

Edit: Nikita, that was an awesome link you sent me. SO much information and pictures and everything. Thanks a lot. Definatley worth the read.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
No problem Simon, glad I could help. Throw some rep my way if ya feel like it haha.

Yeah you may have to mod a few things from the prelude kit here and there, but overall shouldn't be hard especially if you have a reliable person who can do exhaust work.

Back