UPDATE!!! 3/17/12 x5carl3tmurd3rx's Turbo build

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Re: x5carl3tmurd3rx's Turbo build [updated 11-12-10]

im still a little confused about turbo-charging
you know how the waste-gate opens when you dont boost, if you route those exhaust gasses to the floor is that called open dump. what r the advantages or disadvantages of doing that
i know many people just put those gases through the exhaust pipe
nd where did you get that catch can, looks so pretty :love:

bassically the way it works is the exhaust spools your turbo, so in order to maintain a certain boost pressure the wastegate bleeds of the exhaust so it doesn't continue to build boost. Depending on the set-up the only thing your gonna gain is noise. its pretty much pointless on a turbo thats internally gated, which is what I'll be running.

as for the catch can, I just searched purple catch can on ebay. picked it up for $25 shipped.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

bassically the way it works is the exhaust spools your turbo, so in order to maintain a certain boost pressure the wastegate bleeds of the exhaust so it doesn't continue to build boost. Depending on the set-up the only thing your gonna gain is noise.

This is not necessarily true. You are not just going to just gain noise. On high hp setups when you run the wastegate dump (on externally gated turbos) back into the exhaust it can actually hinder airflow, because you have large rushing of air merging which can cause airflow interference. That is why alot of setups have open air dump tubes off of the wastegate.

Yes it does create more noise but you don't have that interference of airflow when you run externally gated turbos back into the exhaust. It can be done right, but again there is a limit as far as power level which will restrict airflow.

On internally gated turbos its a completely different story, lol.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

yeah I was talking about internally gated turbos since thats what I'm running.

claybird

Reaction score

Mine flutters like crazy. I just have an open dump

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

rear passenger fender is rolled. doing the drivers side in about 20 minutes when we get done with our dinner break and get back out to the shop.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Re: x5carl3tmurd3rx's Turbo build [updated 11-28-10]

I second that! I can't wait to see pics.

...........no I was bumping my thread saying that I updated the thread with pics of the block and turbo. lol go check the first post of this thread.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: x5carl3tmurd3rx's Turbo build [updated 11-28-10]

Block looks great! Looks like you finally got everything you need to start putting it all together! Good luck with the build/install!

What turbo is that? Couldn't remember if it was already stated which one your using...

Back