*UPDATE 9/15/12* Has anyone ever tried to retro FX-R projectors ?

KnightRyder

Reaction score
Re: Has anyone ever tried to retro FX-R projectors ?

actually brad, the FX-R 3.0 projector that theretrofitsource sells is a full projector replica... in fact they improved on it a little bit over the factory FX projectors. i have 4 of them sitting here waiting to go into my lights, lol. the high beam area is going to be damn near impossible to get right, i might have over done it.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score

I wouldn't consider using Morimotos as an actual retrofit, those are closer to the plug-n-play side of the difficulty scale for argument's sake.

What's your reasoning for not considering Morimotos for an actual retrofit? I'm just curious, because it seems many people have had great success with them.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

actually brad, the FX-R 3.0 projector that theretrofitsource sells is a full projector replica... in fact they improved on it a little bit over the factory FX projectors. i have 4 of them sitting here waiting to go into my lights, lol. the high beam area is going to be damn near impossible to get right, i might have over done it.

Vimal, thanks for the clarification on them being a full replica projector. I wasn't sure if they just cleaned up used OEM projectors & threw in their replica lenses...or if they actually replicated the projector as well. I didn't see that info on their site, but then again I didn't search very hard as it wasn't a big deal to me either way. I know the high beam area is a PITA to get right, my s2000s are a tight fit to say the least & the FXs (or FX-Rs) are taller. I told you to go with quad TSXs, haha now you see why. I've come across a method of cleaning up the back of the headlight that I'd like to do one day, when you're finished maybe we'll discuss it...as I know you won't be satisfied with the backside of your headlight after you complete your new headlights. You're as picky as I am. lol

What's your reasoning for not considering Morimotos for an actual retrofit? I'm just curious, because it seems many people have had great success with them.

Just a personal bias I suppose. I don't doubt that many people have had great success with them, as they're extremely user-friendly...which they should be since they're a projector designed specifically as replacements. The work involved in throwing a pair of Morimotos in a set of headlights is child's play compared to some/most retrofits that involve OEM xenon projectors from other cars. Of course there are exceptions to both sides of that (some Morimoto projectors may be more difficult than others, and some OEM xenon projectors may be easier than others)...but in general, I believe the statement holds true.

truWarier02

Reaction score

I wouldn't consider using Morimotos as an actual retrofit, those are closer to the plug-n-play side of the difficulty scale for argument's sake.

I know what you mean. It's part of the reason why I'm even considering on doing this "retrofit," considering it'll be my first time attacking a headlight project, besides blackhousing. At the same time, it's cost-effective relative to higher-end OEM projectors. And visibility is poor with my halogen bulbs.

But have you seen these MH1's in action? If so, how did you like them?

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

I know what you mean. It's part of the reason why I'm even considering on doing this "retrofit," considering it'll be my first time attacking a headlight project, besides blackhousing. At the same time, it's cost-effective relative to higher-end OEM projectors. And visibility is poor with my halogen bulbs.

Totally understandable, and since you're going with the smaller (compared to these FX-Rs being discussed)...it should be pretty straightforward. One less set of halogen headlights on the street is great in my book, so good luck. lol

shenaniganz08

Reaction score

I did Morimoto MH1's lol .. I have a second set of headlights to do too lol.

It's a night and day difference between something you can just pop in and something where you have to tell yourself ... "Well crap I'm going to have to cut you in pieces, sorry about this headlight". It's not reversible in any way should you mess up. You also need to figure out how to:

1) Mount the projector ( JNC method seems the best but not the most sturdy). I used 4 long screws
2) Rotational adjustment is permanent once you mount/JB weld everything so you need to get it right the first time
3) You need to cut the back of your housing and figure out a way how to seal it up

SO yeah the FX projector is not an easy project to do in our headlights since it's basically a big azz cube you are trying to fit in a small box

Dear God I could only imagine how hard this is going to be/how little room there is. If I ever do a quad setup I am probably going to just do Morimotos in the high beam area.

One benefit of doing 4 FXR projectors is that they will all have the same cutoff design, And the cutoff is pretty flat and non angled. I imagine if you get all 4 lined up perfectly you are going to have one badazz cutoff line.

Last edited:

shenaniganz08

Reaction score

The FXR1.0 is very similar to the FX35 OEM projector, while the FXR3.0 seems to have a REALLY sharp cutoff, less color, less side ligthing, but much more improved foreground ligthing.

DSC_5261h.jpg

DSC_5263h.jpg

It seems one of the changes in the 3.0 is that the bulb sits further back . You can get the same results with the Original FXR projectors as the FXR 3.0's by using bulb spacers, but I haven't done this as I think that puts a lot of strain on the metal bulb holder clips

851220.jpg

851223.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score

Yeah the MH1's are "okay" for what they are .. The output isn't nearly as great as anything else out there, but they would really suffice for something that takes 5-6 hours to do. But now that I have an extra set of headlights, and can get the FX-R 3.0's for $100, I figured it's time to step it up and get a better projector and maybe throw the MH1's in the wife's Corolla :jae:

Chris Vu

Reaction score

You can buy my MH1 retro after I'm done with the FX-Rs lol.

Back