Whats up with these Euro R Pistons

GlassJAw

Reaction score
One of the guys down here has just stripped down his Euro R H22A engine to do a rebuild and this is what his pistons look like:

P1000407.jpg

P1000411.jpg

P1000406.jpg

Question I have for you fine folk..... wtf is that stuff on the top of the pistons, thought it was running super lean but the dyno tune from a month before shows thats not the case. Any idea guys??

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Carbon build up from overly rich engine or burning oil. Start and stop short distances driving as well.

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
Is it carbon build up? That second pic looks like metal flaking. If it is carbon buildup, its more than likely a rich condition or oil like hondaluver said.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yeah, it looks like the metal flaking. that would be a product of running super lean, methinks...

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
i would let them soak in carb cleaner for a couple minutes and hit them with a wire brush ... get all crap off and see what's underneath it ... hopefully it's just build up

Drift

Reaction score
Just about every motor Ive pull apart looks similar to that. Except for the race motors that don't run emissions. The recirculating oil vapors back into the intake cause a lot of that carbon build up.

Looks normal to me.

pattywak

Reaction score
Just about every motor Ive pull apart looks similar to that. Except for the race motors that don't run emissions. The recirculating oil vapors back into the intake cause a lot of that carbon build up.

Looks normal to me.

So would it be best to replace that hose that connects to the intake with one of those small filters that can be found at a parts store? I know some people do it for rice, but if it prevents carbon buildup that would be a legitimate reason correct?

GlassJAw

Reaction score
I use a small fuel filter in the line that leads from the PCV valve to the intake manifold, you would be surprised how much gunk gets caught in there..... and the fuel filter is cheap as chips (approx $4USD)

Drift

Reaction score
So would it be best to replace that hose that connects to the intake with one of those small filters that can be found at a parts store? I know some people do it for rice, but if it prevents carbon buildup that would be a legitimate reason correct?

Yeah thats one way of doing it.

I use a small fuel filter in the line that leads from the PCV valve to the intake manifold, you would be surprised how much gunk gets caught in there..... and the fuel filter is cheap as chips (approx $4USD)

Thats basically the same thing I did, but I used a $10 water/air spectator for an air compressor in line with my PCV system. I empty it of oil vapor about once every 2 weeks or so. It doesnt fill up, but there is usually a good bit of oil in there.

Back