Wheel Offset

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
i have a set of Motegi FF5's 17x7 +42 and they don't feel right when im driving my car. i had these same tires on my 4th gen and i had the same symptoms. those being that the car wheels don't like to return to center as smoothly as stock tires, and the wheels tend to follow dips in the road.

example: if im on the highway and i change lanes from fast lane to slow lane, as im crossing the "hump" in between the two lanes, my car will pull to the right, and then back to the left. very strange. is this due to an incorrect offset for the car, or something else im not taking into account?

if it IS an incorrect offset that is casing the problem, what offset would give me a stock feel with 17x7 rims?

thanks in advance :canada:

juicebox00

Reaction score
i don't think offset has to do with that at all, wheels are probably incorrectly balanced and or alignment is off.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101
If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
are u sure its just not the road??

when i was taking my cycle class, they explained to us that every street/highway is a little arched... and in multi lane it separates by lane. they do this to prevent water from flooding in the road compared to a completely flat road. Also sometimes after years and years, of heavy driving, you can see that natural arch that forms in the road

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Contact patch is larger than stock, of course you're gonna feel things in the road more. There is also an arch to most roads.

Back