Will ceramic headers crack with header wrap on them

accordman1

Reaction score
Going to be heat wrapping my headers soon with Dei header wrap. I have OBX ceramic headers that have been on the car for a while now. They have rust on the down pipe area. I have taken my entire skunk 2 exhaust system off and replacing gaskets and bolts. So I wanted to heat wrap headers while everything is off. I heard that people said headers can crack especially ceramic. Also I would buy new headers but thing is someone that installed headers few years ago welded the 02 sensor that hooks into down pipe part. Which I would have to buy a new 02 sensor and headers and would not want that. Not sure why they did that but that place is out of business now and at the time I was young and figured they were on and did not get under car to look and they never told me. What do you all think is it safe to heat wrap them??

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes ceramic headers wont last as long as stainless steels ones. I think if you wrap it, it wont take in as much heat, but heat wont disperse too well either from the inside.

accordman1

Reaction score
Not sure what to do now. So is there is a better chance it will crack and to be safe don't do it?

score04w

Reaction score
yes ceramic headers wont last as long as stainless steels ones. I think if you wrap it, it wont take in as much heat, but heat wont disperse too well either from the inside.
its up to you basically, creamic headers are just a thin piece of ss with a ceramic coat. i would personally have chosen ss from the beginning. but take a look at lemons post, i agree with him. it all depends on what you think is the worse of two evils in a way

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ceramic headers are mild steel with a cheap *** coating that doesnt last. It'll rust no matter what. When you use that DEI wrap you soak it in water first b/c its fiberglass and then wrap the header, which, water against mild steel = rust, so it's gonna rust no matter what.

Get it professionally ceramic coated OR - sand down as much of the rust as you can, prime it, and spray on some DEI ceramic coating. That's what I did to mine.

accordman1

Reaction score
Ceramic headers are mild steel with a cheap *** coating that doesnt last. It'll rust no matter what. When you use that DEI wrap you soak it in water first b/c its fiberglass and then wrap the header, which, water against mild steel = rust, so it's gonna rust no matter what.

Get it professionally ceramic coated OR - sand down as much of the rust as you can, prime it, and spray on some DEI ceramic coating. That's what I did to mine.

I got the dei wrap already. So you are saying sand it down with some sand paper then buy some primer spray and spray over headers and then wrap it. When I sand it down will all the ceramic coating come off the headers?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

accordman1

Reaction score
Sand..500+ degree ceramic paint....then if you really want to, wrap it. But for the paint to fully cure it needs to be heated up.

Don't sand down the whole thing, just the rusted parts to bare metal and then follow what I said above.

I used this on my kamikaze cuz the coating it came with kinda sucks.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...DEI-010301&N=700+400384+1001+115&autoview=sku

Could I find silicone coating in a local store instead of ordering that specific brand and waiting. I wanted to start work tomorrow and next day. So basically sand down rust spots to bare metal with 500 plus sand paper then spray that coating on then I can wrap them. Does the coating have to go over the entire down pipe and headers or just rusted areas.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesnt have to be that brand. Thats just what I used. I'd spray the whole thing, it'll all rust eventually.

Back