will my 1200watt Hifonics amp overpower my 12" L5?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
And Monty, your sub is probably wired to 4 ohms so I think your good since the amp puts out 450rms at 4 ohms.

There's only 2 ways to wire a dual 2 ohm voice coiled sub. Either 1 ohm or 4 ohm

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I have to wire it my self..the book shows how to wire 2 ohm into 1 ohm..i went to kickers site and it showed me how to wire 2 ohm into 4 ohm load..
So if i wire it to 4 ohm, I dont have to worry about the gain level or anything right? since itl only see around 400rms?

sorry im not usually noobish on these,but Id rather not blow a new sub.seeing how this L5 will be compared to the L7.

eggyhustles

Reaction score
I would be VERY careful setting it that low. Remember that the speaker is unloaded much below the tuning freq, and crossovers are not "brick wall" - they have a slope too.

u set your subsonic to 3/4 of your box tuning so 24-25

it's also better to over power a sub then under power

set it to 1 ohm..those l7's can take a beating

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
^ i went with the L5 this go around,100$ cheaper than the L7..ha

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Thanks guys.should have it hooked up this weekend when i get some 80amp inline fuses.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
eggyhustles said:
biggest myth with subs is bigger subs are sloppy/not as tight as smaller subs

QFT!! my 15" eclipse titanium's bass was tight and deep and wasn't sloppy at all!!

But why would you put 1200 rms to a 500 rms sub? That's just asking for it... Unless it's in a sealed box where it can handle the power. But in think it's going in a ported box

Back