led instrument cluster?

Reaction score
I did a conversion with my dash and HVAC. Talontsiawd did a great diy. To get true color, you might need to wipe off the diffuser off the back of the gauge face. Be careful because it's a pain in the butt go get the needles back in place correctly. But I used 91% rubbing alcohol and 1400 grit sandpaper to get that blue off the back. This way my white led's shine. I'll see if i can post some pics.

When you're replacing the LED's, make sure to read the package that they come in. Mine from superbrightleds.com came "polorized". This means that if you put them the wrong way in the holder, they won't work. Simply pull the led out of the holder, turn it around and put it back in.

SouthStar019

Reaction score
speaking of the cluster. any one know where i can get some white faced guages. tired of the black backround.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
i've done my interior twice now, both times in white. first time was about 2 years ago with the refractor leds which was basically 4 3mm leds pointing sideways and a single 5mm facing forward, looked good for that time but now-a-days you can get the high powered ones and shine WAY brighter and give a much more even output.

i'll have to take pics of my new high powered setup but here were my before and after pics when i did my first setup...
http://v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65977&highlight=hyper+white+led

steadypimpin

Reaction score
I bought five of the "WLED 5-LED bulbs", and one "74 Wedge Base LED bulb" the $1.19 one. I don't think you need the T1.5 one, because you dont need the socket base because all you're replacing is the bulb.
I wanna do this to my car. Im assuming that the 5 are for the cluster whats the 74 wedge for? So when you buy these all you do is snap them in where the old ones went? No soldering?

What bulbs do I buy for the clock light and the ac and heater gauges?

Last edited:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
unfortunatley no, all the center console lights including the clock need to be soldered. the only ones that are plug-and-play are the gauges, doors, maps lights, dome light and trunk.

Back