f23 dohc?

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
boosting is the route i would go, since you'll have to spend more on building your motor to get the same results as boosting would

NASOHC

Reaction score
When you start modifying the actual flow of the engine, you leave the realm of what your factory computer can do. If you do up compression and port and polish, you will have to go with a programmable ecu. Then you got to tune the ecu to fully and properly control the engine.

Your stock ECU will work with more compression & mild port - the benefit from tuning with a management/piggy-back system are better gains but it doesn't mean your stock ecu will compensate for something. Gains are limited. I agree with Russianred below, AEM below is the best bang for your buck to trick your OBD2 system into a better tune and not very expensive.

110%!

Really though, OP you should check out AEM F/IC especially if you are planning serious engine mods such as N/A building or forced induction. In fact, there is one for sale on here right now...

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24938&highlight=aem+fic

Hope that helps!

- Nikita

More info here:

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

akoutmos

Reaction score
Your stock ECU will work with more compression & mild port - the benefit from tuning with a management/piggy-back system are better gains but it doesn't mean your stock ecu will compensate for something. Gains are limited. I agree with Russianred below, AEM below is the best bang for your buck to trick your OBD2 system into a better tune and not very expensive.

More info here:

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

Tuning is not simply a benefit when you up compression and port the head. It is a NECESSITY!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that tunes ECUs regardless of make will tell you that. Since i tune ECUs i'll give you a real example from my ignition map. Suppose at 6100 RPMs and 81.05 KPAs of engine load, the ECU applies 37.8 degrees of advancement to the ignition. Seeing as my accord runs at 8.8:1 compression (which is considered relatively low compression) i am able to apply a lot of ignition timing. A B18A for comparison would run 30.8 degrees of advancement at the same point on the map even though it runs only .7:1 compression more than the accord.

In general when you up compression or add forced induction the air/fuel mixture expands quicker and so adding ignition timing is not necessary and also dangerous. If you apply too much ignition timing the air/fuel mixture will ignite and expand sooner than when the piston is on the way down of the power stroke. This is known as knock or detonation.

So think about the results, if the accord ecu applies roughly 37.8 degrees of advancement and the compression ratio has been increased you will destroy your engine. That's just the effect that your idea will have on ignition. Similar things will also happen in the fuel map, but thats more typing and i don't want to scare people.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ Nice lil write-up bro. Gives people something to think about when it comes to the mysteries of boost.. And that it's not just plug-and-play fun like some people think it is. It takes precise consideration, and proper tuning to work well. Otherwise you are wasting money, and destroying sh*t.

akoutmos

Reaction score
i'd like to see why you made more hp and tq than he did with a third less boost

I don't understand the reason for your post. If you are implying i don't know how to tune, quite frankly i really don't care. I'm providing readers with quality posts and information.

If you understand how turbos work, you'll know that air volume has a much greater affect on power gains than boost pressure does. I'm running a GT25 which is tiny compared to RussianRed's T3/T04E. Not only that but i'm running the F23A5 which has a non-vtec head. In other words crappy head air flow and a crummy cam.

I find it funny how your sig says to support quality forum members, yet u didn't even read my post in which i try to help people understand tuning. Instead you criticized my car without knowing anything about it.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Either that, or also because he has a much smaller turbo. If the turbine is smaller it takes more PSI to achieve a given whp/wtq.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Let's not start anything guys, don't take it the wrong way I think he was just asking legimately why you made less and I made more though I was running less boost. He don't know about turbos that much I guess, so we have explained to him :thumbup:.

akoutmos

Reaction score
I was correcting a statement made by NASOHC. Judge my post by its accurateness. Not how much power i made. CrosCntryAccord, did i write something inaccurate in my post? Or do you not even understand what i wrote?

Back