I think my radiator is about to fail

sodaks2k

Reaction score
The crappy thing is I just flushed the green coolant a few months ago and replaced it with Honda type 2 blue coolant. Oh well. Good thing I picked up two gallons of the stuff. Whenever I pooped the hood I noticed the reservoir was low, even though I just filled it. So I filled it again and the level went down again. Last week I noticed that I could smell the coolant. ANd now I can see some "leaking" out of the top. My neighbor said he had the same things going on with his integra before he replaced his.

A little "puddle" here.

P1010409.jpg

leaking

P1010410.jpg

P1010411.jpg

Not sure what's going on here?

P1010408.jpg

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you seeing a puddle of coolant under the car? I'm seriously not seeing anything wrong here. Except that bar that holds the battery is corroded.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
Are you seeing a puddle of coolant under the car? I'm seriously not seeing anything wrong here. Except that bar that holds the battery is corroded.

No puddle under the car. So it's normal to have coolant coming out where the "teeth" are? And the bar is corroded because a fluid of some sort is getting in there. You can see that the battery is wet at the bottom. It hadn't rained here for 4 days when I took that picture.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Except for that one little spot on the wires in the first pic, I dont see anything wet or leaking coolant.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
No puddle under the car. So it's normal to have coolant coming out where the "teeth" are? And the bar is corroded because a fluid of some sort is getting in there. You can see that the battery is wet at the bottom. It hadn't rained here for 4 days when I took that picture.

so if your saying its coming out of the "teeth" then yes, your radiator is failing.... looking at your third pic you can see the marks where fluid/pressure is leaking out of the seam between your tank and core.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
so if your saying its coming out of the "teeth" then yes, your radiator is failing.... looking at your third pic you can see the marks where fluid/pressure is leaking out of the seam between your tank and core.

Thank you. Yes, that's where it's coming out. I've circled the areas on these pics.

P1010410-1.jpg

P1010409-1.jpg

P1010411-1.jpg

Any suggestions/brand on a wallet friendly replacement anyone?

Last edited:

dcmystery21

Reaction score
auto parts store (usually have warranty) or junkyard. either way, make sure you keep an eye on the temp needle. good luck.

finch13

Reaction score
Go for a long drive and get the system heated up and pressurized. If it's a serious leak it will probably be bubbling out of the radiator seams when the system's running a full 15psi/1.1bar of pressure.

I'd get an OEM Denso unit, but not from Honda. Call Denso with the part number and see if anyone else sells that particular radiator.

I'd replace the radiator cap with a new Honda one and you might as well replace the thermostat with a Honda one too while you're at it.

TrnkMonkey

Reaction score
Try and buy a liquid u put in to seal it but napa sells the oem replacement for 115 or so. Mine busted on me on easter sunday out of all days and looked just like your until it busted and green was all over the car.

Back