I think my radiator is about to fail

finch13

Reaction score
The coolant leak-stop would be something to try, it's one of the few "liquid fixes" that actually works like SeaFoam or Lucas.

I would not get a NAPA radiator though... OEM =/= NAPA.

TrnkMonkey

Reaction score
The coolant leak-stop would be something to try, it's one of the few "liquid fixes" that actually works like SeaFoam or Lucas.

I would not get a NAPA radiator though... OEM =/= NAPA.

i got the OEM radiator at napa, not a napa radiator lol

sodaks2k

Reaction score
Go for a long drive and get the system heated up and pressurized. If it's a serious leak it will probably be bubbling out of the radiator seams when the system's running a full 15psi/1.1bar of pressure.

Thanks I'll try that.

I'd get an OEM Denso unit, but not from Honda. Call Denso with the part number and see if anyone else sells that particular radiator.

Autozone and advanced auto both have a "denso equipped" radiator for $146.99

I'd replace the radiator cap with a new Honda one and you might as well replace the thermostat with a Honda one too while you're at it.

I figured on the cap for sure. I suppose I should do the thermostat... :ugh: Coming up on 200k is killing me!

Tr napa sells the oem replacement for 115 or so.

NAPA online is showing $299 for the radiator.

http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=5&SubCatId=3

I figured my Honda wouldn't like it since Honda discourages against most/all "additives." :hide:

Last edited:

sodaks2k

Reaction score
I got a new radiator today for $115 from autozone, with a lifetime warranty. I could have mine tested, but I imagine for close to the price I paid for the radiator.

I went for a 15 minute drive on the highway today. I now question whether I need it or not since my inspection today turned up some interesting images. You can see that coolant is leaking from the cap. I wonder if it's coming and dripping down onto the teeth area? Or if it is also leaking from the teeth? Either way, the coolant coming from the cap is definitely get blown into the engine bay and reaking havoc.

P1010400.jpg

P1010401-1.jpg

P1010402.jpg

finch13

Reaction score
Replace the cap first and see if it helps? Then, if you do need a new radiator, transfer the new cap over.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
^that's what I did. :thumbup: I got it all cleaned up so I can tell if/where it's leaking. I'll watch it throughout the week and see what happens.

that1redacc0rd

Reaction score
same problem happened to me, call 1800radiators and see if they have a location nearby. If you continue to drive much longer sooner or later your radiator will crap out on you. While you switch out your radiator (pretty easy job as well if you have all the proper tools) check out your fan as well and make sure that is working...I ignored that and several months later my car overheated AGAIN... also you might spill some tranny fluid, so it'll be a messy job.

goodluck

nyknick1015

Reaction score
isnt when the reservoir low, thatch a good thing... it means ur car is not overflowing or boiling over... that leak looks liek it could be the cap... thats a $5 fix so try that first

Akodo

Reaction score
i think thers this radiator sealent thing that you just pour into the radiator its self. Not sure if its ok to do that or not. I suggest just replacing it, i bought new radiator hose and clamps for my Koyo performance radiator. I dunno about the increase in performance but i notice the temp. of my car doesnt go up as high as it use to. I bought my radiator kit here but they also might have the flush kit i think http://hondapartsnow.com

good luck

Back