Outfitting a 98 Accord LX Sedan

bwizard

Reaction score
Installed the yellow top Optima, two new battery terminals, and did the big three upgrade......

Alternator to Battery with 1/0 wire....

ry%3D400

Replaced the chassis to engine factory ground with 1/0....

ry%3D480

Replaced the battery to chassis with 1/0...

ry%3D400

Last edited:

bwizard

Reaction score
We'll see if the Battery and big three take care of the front speakers cutting out from time to time. If not, I'm buying an HO alternator. After I did the big, I ran the engine and checked the voltage at the battery with no loads and it read 14.4 volts. Turned on A/C, lights, and turned up the radio and it dropped to 13.0. Could have an old tired alternator. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Mine drops from 14.3V to 14V under full load.

Sounds like your alternator may be a little bit weak.

But most amps can take 13V and play fine your speaker cutting out problem is probably not related to battery voltage. I would check for protection lights at the amp (when the speakers cut out) and double check your wiring at the crossover. Also, make sure that the midbass has the high pass filter set properly.

bwizard

Reaction score
I've disconnected the sub amp before and front and rear speakers seem to perform as they should, thats why I was thinking its a voltage drop issue. I dont think ive checked voltage at the amps. Ill try that tomorrow. Maybe a capacitor would help???

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Not really. Read: http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm

Try hooking up your battery charger then see if it still does it. If not then it's a weak alternator.

If you have a voltage drop at the amp it could be due to bad connections, either 12V or ground. Or from improper size wiring.

bwizard

Reaction score
I still have to get everything in the trunk organized, so I confirm all connections. I have a 4 awg wire running from the battery to a dist block in the trunk and then 4 awg to the two amps.... also a short run of 4 awg from where the sending unit is grounded (wire wheeled paint off) to a dist block and then 4 awg to the amps. I tinned all the ends of the wires as well. I think im ok with the wire size, right?

schmiddr2

Reaction score
2ga. would be preferred, but at normal listening levels you should not have any voltage drop from battery to amp with 4ga.

bwizard

Reaction score
I tightend up the install on this project. Just a few little finishing touches to do. On the fronts cutting out from time to time, Ive noticed when im listening to pandora, it nevers happens. No matter how loud I get that "drum and bass" station rocking. :badger: They only appear to be cutting out when the input is the tuner. Any thoughts?

Back