Piston rings

acrod99

Reaction score
Turns out the acrod may need piston rings :( . I want a shop to do it cause i suck at engine internals and i need the car to be reliable again. Anyone have any ballpark figures as far as prices/time for this kind of job? Thanks.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replace the pistons, most usually come w/ new rings and pins. Normally $500 for the pistons, then mostly labor for install. However, since you have to disassemble the entire motor you should pick up new bearings as well or you could just reuse the stockers, up to you and your wallet. Check your phone book or call some local engine shops in your area for price quotes.

acrod99

Reaction score
I am not looking forward to this at all. I may just purchase all the parts and do the work with my friends, at least i want to, but i dunno if we're skilled enough. Do you think this would be do-able in a home garage?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your unsure, just have a shop do it that way its done right the 1st time. Besides, you could beef up the bottom end for more boost this way.

acrod99

Reaction score
I'm selling the turbo. I'm done with it. I'm posting it in the for sale section later.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Damn dude your selling it :( I might of bought it and held out on H22 I bought last weekend.

acrod99

Reaction score
I would LOVE to H22 mine, but the $ i get from the turbo will probly barely cover he work i need done.

skabone

Reaction score
don't waste your time with replacing the rings. I just picked up a used engine with 19K miles on it for $500. I recently blew mine, I lost compression in cylinder #1 thus the new engine. for the money your looking at spending on just rings, you could get pretty much a new engine. I'm also having new belts, hoses and all that stuff done so it will be like a new engine. I'd recommend doing that personally.

check out
www.car-part.com

I even got free shipping to the shop where I'm having the work done. :D

skabone

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
dude, that site is awesome. 5 speed tranny for my car for $165!!! hahaha.
yeah it is. I plan on keeping my car running for a long time thanks to that site. :D

Back