Piston rings

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
acrod: to do the rings and stuff, you have to look at timing belt replacement hours, plus taking the head off, then removing the the waaaay bottom of the engine. then when putting it together, youd have to hold the crank up while bolting it in while getting the con rods to line up. you never know what else you might find while its apart like scored cylinder walls etc. if youd pull it out, it wouldnt be too bad, butttttttt...youre halfway to an engine swap already lol. personally, id take skabone's advice and find a low-mileage f23 or drop in the big boy h. so in the end, it depends if you want to completely disassemble your f or try to do it while its in the car, or just drop in an almost new one and convert to 5spd while youre in there. its a tough call.

sketch: whos in for an "emerald pearl 5spd tranny" group buy? hahaha

acrod99

Reaction score
Let me know how the engine comes out-like the quality and everything cause if i find a cheap used one, i'll definitely do that instead. Yeah i thought a lot and i planned to start lookin at engines today. Thanks, guys!

skabone

Reaction score
acrod99 said:
Let me know how the engine comes out-like the quality and everything cause if i find a cheap used one, i'll definitely do that instead. Yeah i thought a lot and i planned to start lookin at engines today. Thanks, guys!
definately. I got to look at the engine before the swap and it was in excellent condition. There is a warranty on the engine for 6months I believe so as long as the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, other belts, gaskets and stuff they recommend they say the engine will run the balls. It might be ready today, and should definatly be done tommrow. I'll let you know how it runs. I'm looking forward to it even know its only a stock swap. I can't wait to take the car onto some of the twisty mountian roads out here. :D

acrod99

Reaction score
yeah i'm lookin at one without the ulev ;) for 350. might go take a look at it today with a friend. just a q: if the engine comes without brains, will mine hook up with it? my current is ulev-the replacement isnt.

skabone

Reaction score
acrod99 said:
yeah i'm lookin at one without the ulev ;) for 350. might go take a look at it today with a friend. just a q: if the engine comes without brains, will mine hook up with it? my current is ulev-the replacement isnt.
it should hookup no problem, the only difference is the ECU I believe, and maybe a 1-2hp difference in the motor.

acrod99

Reaction score
yeah, i'm leavin it auto, too. sorry, guys, but i cant do too much more custom work-i need it to be reliable! So my ecu will just make it ulev? i dont really care, just wanna make sure it'll work.

skabone

Reaction score
acrod99 said:
yeah, i'm leavin it auto, too. sorry, guys, but i cant do too much more custom work-i need it to be reliable! So my ecu will just make it ulev? i dont really care, just wanna make sure it'll work.
I'm not certian, I'd ask notoriouB or one of the guys that have done swaps themselves. notoriousB over on e-h and h-t knows for sure if you'll have any problems.

acrod99

Reaction score
dang im not a member at either of those. anyone want to help me out and ask for me? it would be appreciated!

skabone

Reaction score
acrod99 said:
dang im not a member at either of those. anyone want to help me out and ask for me? it would be appreciated!
I'm good friends with Brian(notoriousB) I'll ask him for you. :D

Back