Suspension noise (video included)

swollen_cu

Reaction score
AMR Engineering said:
True, but I ain't going to take apart something that has not shown to be defective. Also there are steps that need to be taken, and the next step was to put it on a car to replicate the problem. I want to hear it for myself so I can not only gain the experience, but move in the proper direction. I've hooked him up already, and I did what I could with the time allowed. Business like approach lol, we take care of our customers, but I don't kiss anyones *** either. People walk all over people in this business, and I am not the type of business man to be walked on. The fact is we will take care of him, but it has to happen in the correct steps. Replacing or pulling apart the damper will only tell part of the story, I want to know everything.

Reasonable enough.

I might wanna buy a set of these later down the line if all works out well.

AMR Engineering

Reaction score
Reasonable enough.

I might wanna buy a set of these later down the line if all works out well.

Give them a try and you will see first hand why people come to me for coilovers. Not only will you a higher level of quality, but they will perform quite nicely, and most of all LAST!!

turbo_911

Reaction score
Ok, first of all I am really sick and lost my voice, so I can't talk (but not the reason why I didn't pick up the phone, because I didn't hear it).

Second, I shipped them 08/02/2010, they got there 08/09/2010, and you shipped them back to me 08/31/2010 so you had them for exactly 3 weeks and it was going on 4th week. Take a week off that you had your family business so it leaves with 2 weeks, which is plenty time to check for problem.
But I was without car for 5 weeks because I got them at the end of 5th week.

Here's something I experienced today. An expensive part from a computer started to make noise ($1000 value) and I contacted manufacturer today and I asked them what should I do? (It has 5 years warranty) They gave me two options.

Option 1: Send it the product, they will replace with new, or if possible will fix it. Turn around time is 3-4 days not counting shipping time. I have to pay for shipping there, and they pay for shipping back.

Option 2: They send you a replacement, (they pay for shipping) and you send in your defective part back in original box (I pay for shipping) but you have to give a credit card for Hold, so if they don't receive defective part in 45 days, they will charge me for whatever the new part cost.

Of course I choose option 2 because I can't afford downtime of computer for a week.

Now back to coilovers. I LOVE the coilovers a lot, I like the quality, I like how they ride, don't have anything against them, as it is a great product.
I waited for them almost 6 months, I was fine with that, but when they came with this noise, of course I didn't like that, and plus had to wait 1 more month to see what's wrong with them, that's why I am pissed.
Not that you have another solution of sending me new ones, and I send you back the old ones, that's how it suppose to be in the first place, or at least if something is being sent back it should be top priority of getting fixed first as this is the customer that already paid and had waited a long time. Now, I know you will say its impossible that you have a line, but I have TWO businesses, and for some reason it is possible, as when something breaks because of customers fault, I have really short downtime for it being fixed right away. And yes I go to college too in between.

In the mean time, I have set up appointment with one of the mechanics I know, to test my car on a shakedown machine and run a test to see how suspension performs on a car and find if there are any noises. He did test drove it today and said its definitely the shocks, but will see tomorrow.

Thank you.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Most business will offer option#2 to start with when they are serious about a product. Why? Because one bad word makes you loose more customers then one good word makes you gain. I beleive that's probably somewhere in Customer Service 101.

Either way turbo_911 i hope you get some solution to your issue quickly man as the reason many jumped on the AMR group buy(me included) was because of the portrayed image of quality and customer service that we were given and received and it'd really suck if that turns the opposite way. I doubt there's anything i can do to help being across the border but if so by all means don't hesitate.

Andy, if i may say one thing to you and you may take it with a grain of salt if you'd like and completely disregard it.
It's true you have a business to run and you're busy, along side a family and other issues. Your bussines is a production line and if one part of it gets held up then the whole line falls down. But, one thing i personally noticed is that the first time i spoke to you before placing my order i honestly thought "wow, now that's an owner who would rather explain it all to begin with then give piece by piece explanations along the way". Near the end however I, and i beleive others as well lost that perception as things got heated up with wait times, mixed orders, and other issues which by all means were faults between a number of things, some controllable and some not.
If you'd like to take some criticism(with good intentions), try and be a bit more friendly to customers who have issues from little things to big things, as in the end that's what divides you from the competition, in addition to the fact that these are customers who have paid and waited already. I'm sure daily drivers car enthusiasts aren't probably your biggest market and actual people who track their cars are, but the more the merrier right. Word of mouth goes along way today, especially when its positive. Either way, all the best in your business venture.

Last edited:

turbo_911

Reaction score
Ok came back from mechanic, and he said that the nut on top is not tight enough and almost 100% positive that's what makes the noise, and when we tried to tighten a bit, the whole shaft if turning.

Anyone have any ideas how to tighten it?

And if that doesn't solve, its then 100% coils faulty, as whatever is traveling inside makes that noise.

coil.jpg

AMR Engineering

Reaction score
That's great about the computer company and all, but this is a lil different because this is something that doesn't happen EVER. All the noises till now have been from improper installation, bad bushings, bolts not being tightened enough..etc..so my job is to isolate the problem NO MATTER WHAT not only for your sake, but for my future customers sake. This is how we do things, and these are the correct steps to insure we solve the problem. I also take these steps to confirm what the customer is telling me rather than just take your word for it, for all I know they were not installed correctly, or etc..anything can happen when these coilovers leave our hands. ANYTHING. I am sorry you had some down time, and no the 2-3 weeks was not enough because I could not round up a car to install them in which was absolutely needed. Now if the dampers were blown then I'd rebuild them right than and there, but that isn't the problem and as I said before I have never had a blown damper in 5 years we been in business! Also it does not make it easy when your on the other side of the country. Now here I am offering to make you a new pair of shocks even after all this just to try to help you out when I don't have to. If there is a problem with the shocks I should be rebuilding the set you have, not making you new ones, but I had very little choice since you did not give me more time to isolate and replicate the noise...not trying to shoot from the hip here..and yes I needed more time. You got my number, you know what to do, get better end of story.

I am glad you love the quality of our product, and I want to help you out, but again I didn't find anything defective on the units, and putting them on the car was the next step in trying to figure out what was going on. Now if I put them on another car, and it made noise, then ofcourse I would rebuild the dampers. I simply wanted to confirm myself, and make sure we were both not missing something. My job is not to just fix the problem, but to figure out the cause.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
not because I'm involved, but I have to wonder...how hard is it to "round up" a 6ga coupe?

I mean they're dime a dozen around here..

what exactly was your plan to round up the car anyway? just go out asking?

AMR Engineering

Reaction score
Ok came back from mechanic, and he said that the nut on top is not tight enough and almost 100% positive that's what makes the noise, and when we tried to tighten a bit, the whole shaft if turning.

Anyone have any ideas how to tighten it?

And if that doesn't solve, its then 100% coils faulty, as whatever is traveling inside makes that noise.

coil.jpg

You have to use a impact gun, that is a 17mm bolt. I can't see how that is loose when I put a impact gun on that myself. But if it is you need to use a impact gun. There is a washer on the top, and a washer on the bottom. I would take the preload off the spring, grab the top mount and see if it moves up and down..if it does it is loose. That top mount sits on a shelf so it can only go down so far.

As for what could be making the noise inside, it is hard to say because the dividing piston is not even close to coming in contact with the main piston on the shock shaft. You said you only hear the noise when hitting small bumps or imperfections in the road correct? So the shock shaft is not going to see much movement you see, and does not come into contact with anything internally.

Here is a diagram.
shock-diagram.gif

The shock on the left is a monotube shock which we use. You see the FLOATING PISTON. It is way way on the bottom. That shock shaft is not seeing enough movement to come remotely close to that dividing piston. There is not much moving parts inside the shock, everything is on connected on the end of the shock shaft inside where the main piston is you see. All it is oil and space, with the piston going up and down. There is also a internal bump stop and a external bumpstop. So now that you see that, and have a small idea of what is going on inside it is very very hard to see what could be making the noise internally. Cause both pistons have a teflon band around it which allows it to move back and forth smoothly. This is why I need to take the correct steps to assure it is not the car because there is not really any parts internally that could cause the noise your describing. But hey I have seen some weird **** before so it is not like I am arguing it is not possible, just giving you an idea where I am coming from.

AMR Engineering

Reaction score
not because I'm involved, but I have to wonder...how hard is it to "round up" a 6ga coupe?

I mean they're dime a dozen around here..

what exactly was your plan to round up the car anyway? just go out asking?

I have a few local friends with 6gen accords, as well as customers, but they were busy. When you live in the NW and we get sun, people are busy..it rains A LOT here. We also have customers who just come in for repairs because we do general automotive work as well in our shop. The stars simply didn't align. And the ones that did say would help flaked.

Back