Update the "look"

Quinchu

Reaction score
Ya know, VB offers some awsome portals that you could hack into the code of the site without much effort, lol.

They should have one already built in, I know they have it on the 3.5.x VB forums, but not too sure for the 3.0.x. If it does it would be in admin configs, and would have to be enabled.

Edit -
I have a webserver if ya wanna see some tests done with any different configs.

Edit2 -
http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&p=4
::sneezes:: like this one.

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
believe me when i say ROTM gets political, esp if members get to vote... it's more of popularity vs. actually having a nice ride.... i've been in the v6p ROTM contest a few times now, i know wat i'm talking abt

shavedaccord

Reaction score
wow I just noticed how out of date this VBulletin is...i'd look into upgrading ASAP before the site gets comprimised again. Also VBadvanced is the same portal AT uses on it's main page along with v6p..and about the ROTM deal don't make it a public vote..make it between the staff and that would handle the popularity contest..

Quinchu

Reaction score
Becareful when updating forums software, make sure to backup all the mysql db's and files on the server, especially since there are alot of attachments on the forums. Wouldn't want to completely wipe it.

Also, think about updating the mysql backend if the version is lower then 4.3.6, its got serious security issues.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
They would need to upgrade SQL and possibly PHP regardless if they move to the newer version of VB since it won't run on any other SQL or PHP versions. They should be ok with the backup if the database is clean of errors. However I would back up VIA Shell as well as through VB to be safe. Very very doubtful files will be wiped clean in the upgrade process since it's all automated with VB now. The only thing to worry about as said above is the SQL DB's they hold all the infomation and so on. Depending on Wildman's access to the server (dedicated?, shared? virtual?) he may not be able to upgrade MySQL or PHP and the host may not be willing to either. A lot also depends on if his license has been renewed this year in order to get the lastest version of VB. I know a owned license renewal is $30 for one year a leased I believe is more expensive so hopefuly it's an owned license.

Last edited:

Quinchu

Reaction score
Or you could just get a hacked version of the software, all the features, but freeeee, plus most come with extra skins, or things like that. Also, VB can be installed on both 4.x.x, and 5.x.x, and also the betas for 6.x.x with mysql, php requires either 4, or 5 to be installed with.

If you have access to a control panel, the mysqlphpadmin software thats usually included with renting space/servers would be ideal to backup your databases, and also the builtin software doesn't catch everything, and can leave bits ok (Shaved pointed this out.)

o.o;

Back