Update the "look"

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Well the problems with running a pirated VB, lack of support, unable to update correctly, just takes one pissed off user to notify vbulletin then you're screwed. This is a respectable site so I'm sure Wildman wants to keeps things legit. Don't get me wrong though if this was just another forum I would say more power to you but with this forum and it's reputation I'm going to have to say no to the pirated thing. mysql/phpadmin is a great program it's esentialy a GUI interface for PHP and SQL but the problem with that is just like any other program that does the hard stuff for you it can cause errors. I guess i'm just old school I feel a lot more comfortable backing up DB's through shell lol

Quinchu

Reaction score
Shell is the hardest way to do it, but yes the most effective. Used to run RO (mmorpg) servers, and own my own dedicated server, had to learn how to use SSH, and PuTTY just for that reason, good think I did, its come in handy. But your right on the whole "no hacked versions" Since it is a nce site, and it -is- getting larger each day, it wouldn't be hard for VB to find out about it.

Although a year is expensive in my mind... :(

edit -
DONATIONS!! xD

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
its an owned license, but it ran out right before the 3.5 update and I haven't renewed it.

did you say RO as in ragnarok? lol i played that game

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Wildman said:
its an owned license, but it ran out right before the 3.5 update and I haven't renewed it.

did you say RO as in ragnarok? lol i played that game
Yeah then it's just a $30 fee I renewed AT's not to long ago. Should look into it.

Quinchu said:
Shell is the hardest way to do it, but yes the most effective. Used to run RO (mmorpg) servers, and own my own dedicated server, had to learn how to use SSH, and PuTTY just for that reason, good think I did, its come in handy. But your right on the whole "no hacked versions" Since it is a nce site, and it -is- getting larger each day, it wouldn't be hard for VB to find out about it.

Although a year is expensive in my mind...

edit -
DONATIONS!! xD
Ah lol shell isn't that hard just a basic mysql dump

Quinchu

Reaction score
Well if you get into making batch commands to run your servers for you, it gets complex.. And yes, I did say RO (Ragnarok Online), I made one of the largest pservers back when Aegis and eAthena were still unstable. Grew to almost 2000 people. <3

Ne ways, updating the software isn't that big of a deal since this version is VERY stable. 3.5+ will just offer alot more options, and well.. stability.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
^^not enough members on here for ROTM.. besides, it'll get all political and $hit if we have the ROTM.... i think having 10 members rotating in the banner for 3 months and then having a new set of 10 cars after tht would be best imo

yea i didnt even think about the ammount of members we have, haha yea, nvm about that then.

Quinchu

Reaction score
Ok, so I checked up on this, VB License for a year (owned license) is $160.00, and then $30.00 for each year after that.

Why not setup a donation "account", and everyone on the forums donate like $1 or up to $5, since $5 isn't much money at all when you think about the amount of time we all spend on the forums. Its a good investment isn't it? Plus we get a newer and more updated version of the forums everytime a patch/security issue is resolved. Plus with the new software its possible to add cool addons, like everyone have they're own gallery, and a main page for the site (instead of straight forums).

I dunno, just a suggestion to get things rolling, I got the first $5 in when this starts happening xD.

Back