TSX Projectors + 168 LEDs = My First Retro (FINISHED)

KnightRyder

Reaction score
ok for the few people that i've been talking to off the boards, they know how long i've been working on this stuff... way too long. anyways, im getting down to the final few things to do so i thought i'd let it out now.

The retrofit portion is simply a Clear lensed TSX Projector (not color modded, i want the sharpness more than the added flicker) with replica E46 shrouds. I didnt really take any pics of the process since so many people have done the same thing recently so im just gonna show the pics i did manage to take during the process.

getting a reference point using the stock low beams so that i can minimize the amount of adjustment needed later.
IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

then after all the cutting and mounting and fitting and crap, i got this...
painted the cutoff shield as well as the front portion of the projector's inside high temp low gloss black to further reduce glare. also makes the projector look cool when its off because its just like a black hole, lol
IMG_0391.jpg

getting ready for adjustments...
IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

sorry, no wall shots just yet but i did check everything and after a few minor adjustments, everything's level and straight and aimed properly.
IMG_0390.jpg

then i cut and dry-fit the shrouds (no pics)

and now onto the part thats never been done before...

led strips stacked one on top of the other then epoxied together. one's white and ones amber.
IMG_0348.jpg

dremeled out the corner reflector area and shoved some cut down strips behind there as well... same scenario... white and amber
IMG_0349.jpg

so here's how they work.... when i have my parking lights/headlights, on... the white strip is on, then when i hit the blinker/hazzards... the white ones turns off and instantaneously the amber one turns on, giving the headlight the switchback look. i later built an led array for the side pocket too with the same white and amber look.
IMG_0396.jpg

blinker on... (i know about the 3 off leds on the side, i already fix them)
IMG_0397.jpg

and here is the voltage regulator and relay which controls the LED work... this will be mounted externally in a water tight enclosure and will be plug and play so that if the relay ever goes out on me, i can unplug the box, swap the relay and put it all back without the need to rip the headlights open again... my original plan was to have everything internal.
IMG_0486.jpg

now things start to get cleaned up, painted, and perfected...
the led board is built and installed as well as having the housing painted semi gloss high temp black.
without the clear strips...
IMG_0445.jpg

with the clear strips, the leds shine through no problem...
IMG_0446.jpg

now the crazy *** wiring inside which is all hidden and will be protected from the high heat projector later with some wire loom and duct tape...
IMG_0484.jpg

another angle... notice the 1157 bulb base on the side there, even with all this customization going on inside, they still simply plug into the bulb holder, no external splicing and dicing neccessary!
IMG_0485.jpg

back of the projector sealed up with high temp rubber butyl tape... no leaking here... that OEM rubber seal is still on there too, i trimmed it a bit and put it on THEN applied all this rubber butyl tape so its very sealed up now.
IMG_0447.jpg

and here's where i am currently...
IMG_0448.jpg

picked up these clear lense halos locally for cheap... bottom one is how i bought them, top is after my restoration on them. im tearing those open tomorrow and putting them on my retros.
IMG_0478.jpg

its still gonna be at least a week before they're sealed and on the car because i still need to build the led array for the other headlights, still need to cut and fit the strips for that side, basically everything LED related to the passenger side still needs to be done and that one board in the side takes me 5hrs to make so its a slow and steady process.

Questions i know im going to get:
1. Projector is Clear lensed TSX, not color modded
2. Shrouds are E46 replicas available from the retrofit source on ebay
3. The projector is mounted to the reflector, not the housing... i didnt use the JnC method because i couldnt perfect it so i stuck with the simple 3-4 bolts straight through to the back of the reflector, i made the holes a little oval shaped so that i could adjust a little bit, i did most the prep work earlier so i wouldnt need to adjust big time.
4. LED strips are from lck-led.com
5. no i will not make a DIY because its just too damn complex to explain all the led stuff, especially the switchback part.
6. will i make these (the led part) for other people... as i told another member who already PM'd me about it, i would love to help out the community by providing a service but what good is the service if the products fail in a few months... basically all this stuff is not really tested fully yet so im gonna run with these for a few months and see how things go, if all's good them sure i'll start taking orders, but just be ready for the price ;)
7. using a 55W DDM D2S HID kit with 6000k bulbs (going to use 4300k 85122 bulbs in the near future)
8. also using DDM's wireharness

ok, its getting late, bed time... enjoy :D

stay tuned for updates... there will be a new video too showing the switchback action mid week maybe.

oh and i HAVE to thank ericspda for alllllllllllll the help he's provided me in figuring this crap out, the guy is a saint imo, i must have annoyed him so many times with my problems, lol. thanks for putting up with me :)

===================================
edit: 6/14/09

here's a video i made while things were in the earlier stages, havent made a recent one yet but thats coming soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UES97xtturg

edit:

edit:

pics with all leds lite up. whites are not actually that blue, in fact, they're very neutral looking in person. the white balance on my camera was inaccurate so the whites look blue and the ambers look light yellow. trust me when i say they're NOT those colors. once i finish everything and put them on the car, i'll have my buddy with a dslr take better pics.
IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

yes the reflector disperses the light a decent amount and i actually kinda like how the whole side reflector looks illuminated :)
IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

===================================
edit: 8/6/09
sorry, never got to take final pics with my camera because it broke so here's some pics taken by other people and a few by me. project is finally done, thank god.

FINAL PICS ARE NEAR THE END OF THIS THREAD, I CANT FIT ANYMORE PICS IN THIS POST.

Last edited:

lwlba

Reaction score
Re: TSX Projectors + 168 LEDs = My First Retro (NO56K)

now that's gonna look nice

kn106518

Reaction score

holly ****, man, the signal LED is super tight man, dude, you have to the DIY for the signal led man, THE PEOPLE DEMAND IT. lol. i just finish my retro today too, but nothing compare to yours. i decided to go with the CCFL angle eye instead of the LED strip. ran out of money couldn't do the LED strip. well, nice work man.

BTW, do you plan to get rid of your stock headlight len? i in need of one.

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score

Awesome!!

Question: How do the 4300k 85122 bulbs compare to the 6000K DDM bulbs at 55W? Wouldn't the 4300 bulbs look like a high 3000K light with 55W applied to them? Just asking cause your not the first person who mentioned swapping out there DDM bulbs for stock bulbs.

akoutmos

Reaction score

Looks freakin awesome :thumbup:

Makes me want to do a retro soooooo badly

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

holy **** balls thats a lot of torque converters! :crazyrun:

you gave me an idea for my retro (well...sort of...since i already did it 2 years ago, NOT led-related don't worry!)...i wonder if it'll work the way they're set up now...hmmm...gotta go try it.

Awesome!!

Question: How do the 4300k 85122 bulbs compare to the 6000K DDM bulbs at 55W? Wouldn't the 4300 bulbs look like a high 3000K light with 55W applied to them? Just asking cause your not the first person who mentioned swapping out there DDM bulbs for stock bulbs.
ya, 4300k turn brown with more than 35w applied.

there's no point in 55w HID, honestly, unless you're going off-roading.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol nice vimal. i might come over in august so u can help meh. :naughty:

KnightRyder

Reaction score

thanks for the compliments everyone.

holly ****, man, the signal LED is super tight man, dude, you have to the DIY for the signal led man, THE PEOPLE DEMAND IT. lol. i just finish my retro today too, but nothing compare to yours. i decided to go with the CCFL angle eye instead of the LED strip. ran out of money couldn't do the LED strip. well, nice work man.

BTW, do you plan to get rid of your stock headlight len? i in need of one.

i have 2 sets of OEM lenses i just finished restoring so they're in very good condition now. PM'd about price.... if anyone else wants the other set, let me know.

Awesome!!

all the comparisons i've seen on hidplanet are always aftermarket bulbs vs oem bulbs and the oem always looked better to me. yea i know what you mean by 55w washing out the color but i think thats usually only on the aftermarket ones, the wash out isnt as bad on the quality oem bulbs. i dont know yet i may end up going with some morimoto 5000k bulbs from retrofit source, he says they're the best aftermarket bulbs he's ever seen for build quality, position of the capsule is just like oem, the salts they use are just like oem.

holy **** balls thats a lot of torque converters!

you gave me an idea for my retro (well...sort of...since i already did it 2 years ago, NOT led-related don't worry!)...i wonder if it'll work the way they're set up now...hmmm...gotta go try it.

ya, 4300k turn brown with more than 35w applied.

there's no point in 55w HID, honestly, unless you're going off-roading.

haha, thats my dads transmission shop, i use it all the time to do work on my car, so many tools and so much space.

eventually after i finish these and save up a little more, im going to be adding hella micro de fogs with 55w ddm hid kit as well. projector headlights with projector fogs all at 55w, gonna be sweet! and yes i know most people dont recommend using 55w hid in a small housing but the hella micro de's come with 55w halogens so they can easily handle the heat and since hids run cooler than halogen, wont be a problem.

added one of my older videos to the first post since im sure you guys are itching to see them in action. i will have an updated one soon.

Last edited:
Back