New Down Pipe

akoutmos

Reaction score
Seeing as upgrading an accord never ends, i wanted to do something new and original with my turbo setup. After much thinking i decided to make a new downpipe, seeing as the old one from turbo specialties was hitting the support beam (i think thats the name for it but i always forget). So my idea was to make a downpipe with an external dump for the internal wastegate. The wastegate and the turbine fins are not in two separate chambers and the old downpipe created a lot of turbulence as the two streams of exhaust gases were forced together though a 2" pipe. The new setup has a 1.5" pipe for the wastegate and a 2.25" for the turbine fins. I also separated the two chambers of the turbo by welding a 1/8" thick piece of steel onto the 5-bolt flange to make the two exhaust flows go their separate but equal ways.

DSCF0470.JPG

DSCF0473.JPG

DSCF0474.JPG

DSCF0475.JPG

DSCF0476.JPG

I first showed this upgrade at the menlo park meet but everyone thought it was an exhaust leak and when i explained it people still looked confused. So hopefully it makes sense now. I was also hoping for some attention....but everyone was paying attention to the other boosted accord (*cough cough* shahid). JK. I didn't get any pics of it completely done because i got it back saturday afternoon from the welder (i tacked it together with my MIG he did the whole thing with a TIG) and rushed to put it in and head down to Jersey. Anyways here are some pics.

After thoughts:
After driving it around for a while you can definitely feel the power difference. The turbo is much more responsive and it is loud as hell (i'll get a vid up soon so guys can hear how it sounds). The only downside is that 1/8" steel divider i put in doesn't seal 100% and it kinda does sounds like an exhaust leak on idle. Overall i'm happy with my upgrade and even happier that i did it all by my self. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

mraw112

Reaction score
Is your wastegate to the atmosphere?

exhaust is the best thing for a turbo. when my accord was first turboed it had the stock exhaust. that was a stupid idea. i was cooking oil. then i made a 2.5in strait exhaust. and the difference was amazing. get some vids of it.

good job on doing it yourself.

What turbo are you running? I looked in you first thread and it didnt say. I tried so hard to use and internal wastegate, but it made the turbo too long.

Last edited:

akoutmos

Reaction score
Is your wastegate to the atmosphere?

exhaust is the best thing for a turbo. when my accord was first turboed it had the stock exhaust. that was a stupid idea. i was cooking oil. then i made a 2.5in strait exhaust. and the difference was amazing. get some vids of it.

good job on doing it yourself.

What turbo are you running? I looked in you first thread and it didnt say. I tried so hard to use and internal wastegate, but it made the turbo too long.

Yes, the wastegate is dumped to atmosphere. And the turbo is a gt25, but i forget the trims.

Looks good. Hopefully the tape has been replaced with welds though.
Since all the pipes were stainless steel, all the pipe were TIG welded together.

biggest picshars ever...the dp looks good tho

Lol, the pics are kinda huge, but its all hosted on my site, so file size is no prob.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Looks good..where did you purchase your piping from? and also what degree piping did you get?
Im thinking of upgrading my 2.5" to 3" and then also 3" straight exhaust.. but only seen 5ft 3" piping on ebay..then Treadstone Performance for the 45,90degree piping for pretty cheap.

Back