gas light!

MrLazie1

Reaction score
alright i am not that dumb to ask how come my gas light is on. well of course i would need gas. the thing is that it just stays on. usually when i need to fill up gas, it come on when i stop then it goes away. this time, it just stays on. and also my fuel needle seems to stay in one play. and on the way home right on the freeway, i was turning and it felt like i just loss a lot of power to the car. i gassed and gassed and there was no rev. but i kept trying then it revved and i just drove quick and got off the freeway. and yet i still havent filled up gas. thats cause i dont have money right now. :( and when i got home i checked the needle again, its still in the same spot. usually it would've moved from where i went and back home. but this time it didnt seem to move at all. what do you guys think is wrong? :thinking:

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
At least you still have a gas light. I've been a broke asss student for more than 5 years now perhaps? I'll be finished with Nursing in December. but anyway, i've been so low on gas so much that my low gas light has burned out from turning on all the time. Now whenever i'm low on gas, it just doesn't turn on. Been that way for more than 5 years.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where is the needle at on the gauge?

It comes on and goes off b/c the gas is sloshing around in the tank. The reason you felt a loss of power is b/c you turned and the fuel was pushed away from the pump so there wasn't any fuel being pumped.

Whats wrong? - You're low on gas and in danger of damaging your fuel pump. Go fill up.

cajun

Reaction score
+1

If your needle is past 'E' and stopped moving you probably pegged it. Scrounge up a few bucks for gas or park it until you can. Run it out of gas on the freeway and then you'll have some real problems.

SilverAggie

Reaction score
As a rule of thumb you should never let your gas tank get below a quarter tank. I'm a poor student as well but would you rather spend $30 on gas or over 200 on a new fuel pump. Help yourself out and fill-up. My friend ran out of gas in his Oldsmobile Alero that he had to replace his fuel pump for $220 a couple of years ago. Plus when you get to the bottom of the tank that's when all the trash that's in the gas starts getting into your filters and your gas line.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
Where is the needle at on the gauge?

It comes on and goes off b/c the gas is sloshing around in the tank. The reason you felt a loss of power is b/c you turned and the fuel was pushed away from the pump so there wasn't any fuel being pumped.

Whats wrong? - You're low on gas and in danger of damaging your fuel pump. Go fill up.

well the needle is at like the second small little bars. it has not yet got onto the solid white bar which is bigger than the rest.

+1

If your needle is past 'E' and stopped moving you probably pegged it. Scrounge up a few bucks for gas or park it until you can. Run it out of gas on the freeway and then you'll have some real problems.

pegged it? what do you mean? break it?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what line its on, the light comes on to show you that you have only about 3 gallons or so of gas left. Fill up.

Pegged as in - it can't show you how little gas you have left than it already is.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
oh okay. but like before, it went down to the solid white line and now it doesnt go that far. :thinking:

Back