Another tranny thread smh....

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
The only clear fluid I have ever seen in a car is Brake fluid, or PS fluid

ATF is supposed to be cherry red, if it is any color darker than that it is burned and should have been changed a while before. Best way I can describe what it looks like is red Jello before it goes in the fridge, that is best condition it will ever be in.
mine is clear...as in...i can see the dipstick's markings through the fluid.

thats what i meant by "clear."

cajun

Reaction score
What did you see on the drain plug? A light film on the plug is okay...or did you see shavings/chunks of metal? I'd change the ATF again to get it looking like new.

If it's still shifting hard pour half a bottle of Lubegard Red in it. It won't hurt and may help for a while. Then start saving for a rebuild/swap or dump the car.

9450erick

Reaction score
yeah mine started like that then it progressively went to all the other gears
ur lucky it lasted as long as it did
but like the guy on top of me said better save up for that 5spd swap.
that wat i did. plus the iv heard that the m.t. can survive a nuclear attack lol

jared21927

Reaction score
What did you see on the drain plug? A light film on the plug is okay...or did you see shavings/chunks of metal? I'd change the ATF again to get it looking like new.

If it's still shifting hard pour half a bottle of Lubegard Red in it. It won't hurt and may help for a while. Then start saving for a rebuild/swap or dump the car.

I had no shavings or chunks of anything on the plug......It seems to be riding better now after draining it twice but i dk. I threw some lucas stop slip in it an it seems to be doin better so il see what happens. I just graduated from college so it might be time for another car. O well, il figure it out.

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1998 Accord 4 cyl. automatic and I have a question about the transmission. The transmission seems to switch gears fine from 1 - 4th gear. While driving in 4th gear, the revs seem to drop suddenly from about 2300 rpm to 2000 rpm like another gear change and it happens only once, after 4th gear engages. Is this normal? I checked the transmission fluid and it seems clean like it was recently changed.

Last edited:
Back