Blackhousing blindness

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
Just paint the chrome part that's screwed to the lenses.. you'll know what I'm talking about when you take apart the headlight. If you paint that part you won't have to worry about light output at all, it'll be exactly the same. Btw I don't think it matters whether you use flat-black or gloss black, but I think the gloss will look better.

Vlad02coupe

Reaction score
Hey i'm thinking about blackhousing my headlights as well. Is there a special kind of paint i need to use or any tips/tricks you have?

Also since i don't wanna buy eyebrows, would it be okay to just spray paint them on?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hey i'm thinking about blackhousing my headlights as well. Is there a special kind of paint i need to use or any tips/tricks you have?

Also since i don't wanna buy eyebrows, would it be okay to just spray paint them on?

You want to spray paint on eyebrows/eyelids???? They're only like 20$ on ebay.

jdm00accord

Reaction score
i was talking to my neighbor about how i was planing on doing my blackhousing project soon and he was like oh yeah i did that on my car(ford taurus). He said the level of light was so low at night that he couldnt even drive it so he took them off(said they were replacment housings). I know im not gonna get the same light output plus im also going to put eyebrows on but is it really that bad? I have clear sylvania silverstars.

just dont paint over the chrome around the bulbs. put the lights in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 mins each (to loosen the glue), then pry them apart with flathead screwdrivers, put the back part (side that has the holes the bulbs twist into) off the the side and take the lens and the stuff in the lens to the work bench. unscrew the two screws at the bottom of the lens and take out the small piece that comes off where your parking lights go. then youre left with the lens, the amber strips and the chrome housing. take the chrome housing out and set everything else to the side. the chrome housing is what youre going to want to paint. when youre all done i just put them back in the oven at 200 for 15 mins each to soften the glue again and put them back together. might wanna add extra sealant for reassurance if you want. if you do it right it wont effect your lighting at all.

use paint that has some type of heat resistancy considering light produces heat. i had extra duplicolor graphite wheel paint from doing my rims so i figured that would be tough enough so i painted mine that color and then clear coated them. as for the eyebrows, painting them on is a major fail imo. tacky, ugly, and ricey. either spend $20 on them or do without them.

Last edited:

CARVERitUP

Reaction score
Get a pair of blackhoused crystals like I and many other people have. It's a good just under 100 dollar mod that looks really clean, clear, and has a great light output, not to mention that I'm getting some 35W 6000k HIDs with ballasts from DDM for them...

Here's a comparison from OEM to the blackhoused crystals:
DSCF1300.jpg

DSCF1319.jpg

and here's how they look!
DSCF1331-1.jpg

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

Light Pattern:
DSCF1359.jpg

DSCF1361.jpg

DSCF1360.jpg

Back