Car not starting intermittently

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
Wow, I haven't been on this forum in ages. I've been busy with work.

Anyhow, I've been having an issue with my v6. Had a transmission change back in December. Over the past 2 months, I've had this issue where my car won't start. I thought it only happens in the morning after I haven't driven it in hours, but it happened once when i was driving for about 15 minutes around town, dropped my dog off at the groomer, then it wouldn't start again.

When this happens, it doesn't choke or click when I turn the key. If I let it sit for a few minutes, the oil lamp turns on and my srs light, no brake lights turn on when i step on the brakes. The windows don't move up or down, still nothing when i try and turn the ignition on. After maybe 30 minutes, all the lights come on the car starts as if there was a delay in power.

Oil level is fine, battery is good... After it starts, it drives just fine. I don't notice any loss of power or shortage while driving and the car starts up fine for the rest of the day. Any ideas?

I don't get any CEL come on. However for the past couple months, while driving, my ABS and TCS light up with no symptoms.

james'99

Reaction score
Okay, when you turn your key to on, does the CEL light test for a couple seconds? Yes? Good. But you really need to watch for this when it doesn't start. When it doesn't start, if the CEL didn't test, this would mean your main relay is at fault and is in need of repair. I have written up a DIY that is on the Master DIY list for this repair. You may want to even do this if it doesn't end up being your issue anyway. Good preventative maintenance.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Do what James said,
and make sure all battery and grounds connectors are clean.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Another main relay failure indicator is if you cannot hear the fuel pump prime. So when you turn the key to position II, listen for a faint whine lasting a couple seconds.

james'99

Reaction score
Another main relay failure indicator is if you cannot hear the fuel pump prime. So when you turn the key to position II, listen for a faint whine lasting a couple seconds.

Yeah, exactly. So if you're CEL doesn't test and no fuel prime, main relay. Got a soldering iron? Reflow it and be on your way. There is a DIY up too.

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies. I haven't had time to go on here until now. Upon inspecting my engine, I noticed there was a wire from my transmission that this mechanic forgot to ground; so i grounded that wire. I guess the only way to find out if this was the problem, is if the car one day doesn't start again.

During the times I had a no start issue, I didn't hear my fuel pump prime when the key was in position 2. Basically, in position 2, there were only a couple lights on (oil lamp, and abs? i forget, i have video of the whole thing just in case my manager didn't believe me that my car wasn't starting up. lol), but that was it. I'd try and turn the key and nothing at all, no noise. Then 30-45 minutes with my key in position 2 and just sitting there waiting, and then all the lights turned on and power was restored. Then the car would start normally again the entire day. I came across this problem for maybe once a week for the last 3 weeks. I've been in transition between job positions the past month, so i haven't had time to take it to my mechanic.

The last time it did this however, on position 2, there was a clicking noise coming from around the fuse box inside my engine (that would be the passenger side of the engine.) clicking only when the key was in position 2.

I'll look into your guys recommendations though after work tomorrow. Thanks a million.

james'99

Reaction score
When you had the no start issue, did your CEL test? You say you didn't hear the fuel pump but that doesn't speak for it not cranking. Grounds are important and cause a lot of problems. Let's hope you got it. Can you pass on your video?

Check out the video here... This tests for main relay failure when the car doesn't start... But your doesn't even crank it seems but it can't hurt to check this out.

http://6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50047

Last edited:

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
When you had the no start issue, did your CEL test? You say you didn't hear the fuel pump but that doesn't speak for it not cranking. Grounds are important and cause a lot of problems. Let's hope you got it. Can you pass on your video?

Check out the video here... This tests for main relay failure when the car doesn't start... But your doesn't even crank it seems but it can't hurt to check this out.

Saw that video, thanks for that. Engine crank in my case however, I thought my CEL didn't test, but actually it did after watching my video again. I'm gonna try and upload that video onto youtube. Once the car got power back and it started normally, CEL didn't stay lit.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Saw that video, thanks for that. Engine crank in my case however, I thought my CEL didn't test, but actually it did after watching my video again. I'm gonna try and upload that video onto youtube. Once the car got power back and it started normally, CEL didn't stay lit.

Awesome. Hopefully the video can shed some light.

Back