Check engine light**

jwong512

Reaction score
Well, today I decided to Seafoam my car and do an oil change. At first, I disconnected the hose that was attached to the PCV valve and fed 1/3 of Seafoam through that hose. After that, I shut off the car for a good 15 minutes. Before starting the car back up, I decided to pour 1/3 into the oil and 1/3 into the gas tank. I had about 12 gallons of gas left and I didn't go to the gas station to mix it(Stupid me.). Anyways, the check emissions light came on and I thought it was nothing so I drove for about 4 miles and came back and did an oil change. My oil was extremely black and I'm guessing it was from the seafoam because it wasn't that black before. Changed the oil and the filter and started the car back up. The light was still on. I shut off the car and retightened the PCV valve and the hose that was attached onto it. It still came back on and I took it for a drive hoping it would go away. The car ran much smoother as my mechanic used some generic oil filter and some crap oil and now it's much better with Mobil Clean 5000 5W-20 and Honda OEM Oil Filter.

The main problem is that my check emissions light is still on. Has anyone ever experienced this symptom and how would it go away? I retightened my gas tank cover and everything. The manual says that if I fill up gas 3 times, it should most likely go away. I'm hoping to get gas tomorrow and WOT a couple times to clean out all the Seafoam.

Note: My car did not smoke AT ALL from the Seafoam. This light is also the one above the battery in the tachometer. It isn't a code from CEL.

Last edited:

Bada$$VTec

Reaction score
Re: Check emissions light went off

The light above the battery light indicator is a CEL so im sure u got a CEL code,go get it read n tell us wat it says..When i seafoamed my car i never mixed seafoam with my oil only gas,and the only code i got was a code that had to do with TPS(cant remember the code) and when i got the TPS replaced the CEL went away.
P.S My CEL didnt come on right after i seafoamed,it came bout 2 days after. And im sure u meant check engine light

jwong512

Reaction score
Re: Check emissions light went off

Oh really? I thought it meant Check Emissions......Lemme grab my manual and I'll get back to you guys. Where can I get it read? Autozone?

Edit: Yeah, I just looked at my manual. My bad guys. I'll get it checked up tomorrow!

Last edited:

MrLazie1

Reaction score
use a scanner. haha hmm i guess any auto places. maybe autozone would have it. it is the orange/yellow looking like that has a picture of an engine looking thing?

jwong512

Reaction score
Yeah I'm so stupid. My bad guys! :doh:. Hopefully it's just a O2 sensor problem. If so, I'll burn it off with some hardcore driving :).

Edit: I just called autozone and they said that it's illegal to do free CEL scans in California. Dam....

Last edited:
Back