Chipping an F20b

payndew

Reaction score
hey guys im getting my f20b accord back today, but my mechanic said that it still needs to be chipped and tuned o_O .. also he said that my f20b requires 93 octane gas or my motor will blow up.. Ni66a scared me shi*less lmao.. umm My question to you guys is how much will it cost to get this chipping work done and how long will it take? he said taht the car is ready to take home, but to not take it over 4k rpm till i get some premium gas or else (dun dun dun) ..which is weird because i have 91 shell in there which i thought would be good enough for the swap! please clear this up for me as i have no idea what this dude is talking about nd it scares mee :squintrun: .. What should i do , thanks guys

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
hey guys im getting my f20b accord back today, but my mechanic said that it still needs to be chipped and tuned o_O .. also he said that my f20b requires 93 octane gas or my motor will blow up.. Ni66a scared me shi*less lmao.. umm My question to you guys is how much will it cost to get this chipping work done and how long will it take? he said taht the car is ready to take home, but to not take it over 4k rpm till i get some premium gas or else (dun dun dun) ..which is weird because i have 91 shell in there which i thought would be good enough for the swap! please clear this up for me as i have no idea what this dude is talking about nd it scares mee :squintrun: .. What should i do , thanks guys

All of this sounds like BS to me. I'd be interested to see if the car is running right when you pick it up. Sounds like he's trying to cover his tracks already.

I don't trust mechanics........

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
what ecu is he running at the moment? it's a stock motor, there's no need to chip it :ohyou:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I wish could just write checks and have people install things that I don't understand.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
How bout we un-tie our panties and try to help someone in the community out.

Probably wasn't the best decision to have the car leave the shop unfinished. A real mechanic gets tue car done, not halfway. I agree with Justin, seems like he's already trying to cover his track or it looks like he can't finish the car. As far as what gas to run, I'm sure 91 is plenty, my dads sti recommends 93 but all we have is 91here. It runs fine without any issues, just run 91 and if u hear any knocking ur gonna have to add octane booster every fill up

JEER42

Reaction score
My f20B is running on a P28. You cannot use your stock f23 ECU. Believe me I tried! I got mine converted to OBD1 as well. I think it's BS that your motor will blow up if you don't use 93 octane. Your car will run fine on a non chipped ECU, you just won't get the maximum performance out of it.

GlassJAw

Reaction score
91 Should be fine to run, he is most likely thinking that because the engine is high compression that you will get detonation with octane thats too low for it. I'm with Hondaluver, "just run 91 and if u hear any knocking ur gonna have to add octane booster every fill up" or just run 93 octane if possible in place of octane booster.

Bit more info would help also, what ECU is it currently running??

Back