Custom Dash

Ix3U

Reaction score
Couple of new pics. Can finally post pics now o the tread will be a little more entertaining. Also, decided to start adding color to my resin to knock it up a notch:happy107:

lashlee

Reaction score
Good luck with that. Even with my experience with fiberglass I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! The one thing that I would recommend is to reinforce it as much as you can, and I would try to do as much of that from the back side or you'll end up with a lot of finishing work. I would also add some dampening to the pieces since it may become buzzy at certain RPM's and speeds due to the light mass of the mat and resin alone.

Ix3U

Reaction score
Good luck with that. Even with my experience with fiberglass I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! The one thing that I would recommend is to reinforce it as much as you can, and I would try to do as much of that from the back side or you'll end up with a lot of finishing work. I would also add some dampening to the pieces since it may become buzzy at certain RPM's and speeds due to the light mass of the mat and resin alone.

For dampening, I've still got all of the chop material that was in the original center console that I plan on put in (basically) the same area. However, I hadn't thought of that as far as vibration goes... So good call on that. I might do slips of rubber or something like that at install points to act as a deadener. Reinforcement shouldn't be too much of an issue though. Most of what you see in the pics will be under a finished layer with the exception of the center console area. The rest of it is more or less a base layer to cover up all the exposed wires/metal/harness and everything.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Integrating such a huge piece without it standing out will be the tough part; seams, color, panel transitions, curves, etc. I know you are already going, but you could have put wood pieces in places before you glassed over them if you wanted to add strength or where you need mounting options. With the center console being low and omitting the armrest I think OEM carpet color would look good.

CarPC is nice for upgrading each component, but tablets are nearly lag free for any kind of media. If you want resource hogging games then CarPC is the only way. But some new tablets have the Intel i5 Haswell chip so they are fast and run cool.

Ix3U

Reaction score
Integrating such a huge piece without it standing out will be the tough part; seams, color, panel transitions, curves, etc. I know you are already going, but you could have put wood pieces in places before you glassed over them if you wanted to add strength or where you need mounting options. With the center console being low and omitting the armrest I think OEM carpet color would look good.

CarPC is nice for upgrading each component, but tablets are nearly lag free for any kind of media. If you want resource hogging games then CarPC is the only way. But some new tablets have the Intel i5 Haswell chip so they are fast and run cool.

As for games and what not, my old iconia a500 can play psx games without any lag, so that should do fine. Plus with bt, I can connect it my ps3 controller for wireless gaming or connect it to the hu for surround sound for movies.

For connection points, I left most of the tabs/screw points from the dash, so I'm not too worried about being able to connect it. However, I AM a little worried about all the other stuff... Curves, seems, and everything... I've never taken on anything quite like this before and I've only ever played with fiberglass 1 other time.

Anyways, it will be an interesting journey. Or itll be retarded.

Brad2274

Reaction score
so will this piece be removable? i see where youre going but im wondering if you can pull this out so you can get to the cabin air filters under passenger dash(would help to change them if there's any smell from building materials later on) and get to the carpet if you wanna change it or re-dye it.

Ix3U

Reaction score
so will this piece be removable? i see where youre going but im wondering if you can pull this out so you can get to the cabin air filters under passenger dash(would help to change them if there's any smell from building materials later on) and get to the carpet if you wanna change it or re-dye it.

Everything will be removable... Or at least theoretically. I think one of my biggest hurdles is the fact that I didn't really come out with a whole picture design plan before I started and kind of am winging it as I go. Which is kind of fun, as the project keeps getting bigger and more detailed as I go... However, once I get it all pulled out (hopefully today) I'll actually button down the game plan.

Last edited:

Ix3U

Reaction score

So I was hoping to get stuff done today... But not so much. It was 63 yesterday so I had high hopes

Ix3U

Reaction score
So. Since my hu still hasn't gotten here, it's been like 15 degrees, and I haven't had time, I haven't gotten much accomplished. Taking votes on where to put everything, like hu and ac controls. Close enough that I don't have to splice out the harnesses would be preferred, but not that big of a deal. Let me know what you think.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Screen washout is a big problem with the OEM location. I would do some testing to find a better location. I think a more horizontal position and lower down would be better.

Back