DIY: Clean your IACV

inv4zn

Reaction score
Alright, got it done today.

Damn, this thing is amazing hahah

Made SUCH a difference...heh.

jwong512

Reaction score
Car runs much smoother now huh? It was a PITA to remove but totally worth it right? If you tell a mechanic to do it, they'll just grab the vacuum hose and pour some carb cleaner in there which doesn't do anything and might make the idling worse. At least that's what happened to me when I told my mechanic to do it. Did it myself and the problem never came back.

thn116

Reaction score
Just did this today...

Car's been stalling more and more frequently when started...so I thought this would be worth a shot.

For a V6, the screw on the rear is a BISH to get off...took me like 30 minutes. but I have big clumsy hands...lol

and after getting coolant everywhere (wiped of course), and other miscellaneous crap everywhere, I'm just waiting for the carb cleaner to dry out...

Will update to see if this fixed my problems.

Again, I love this site :beer:

Edit: Owned myself by not double-checking part numbers.

THE GASKET PART NUMBER FOR V6's is 16456-P8A-A01

Did you take the throttle body off or leave it on? I was looking at mine today and saw that the back screw was pretty far back and I gave up little bit later.

inv4zn

Reaction score
My TB wasn't too dirty, and I didn't want to wait for more gaskets to arrive so I just left it on.

Haha which back screw? The screw for the IACV?

It's really hard the first time, but then you sort of get a feel for it. Also helps if you have the right tools lol.

It's a philips though (at least in canada) so you can strip it if you're not careful.

Go out and guy some bolts with the same thread/length and replace them for the next time =)

thn116

Reaction score
Yea, I had trouble with the IACV screws. I didn't want to strip them so I gave up lol. They're phillips for the US v6 motors too.

inv4zn

Reaction score
If the rear one's give you trouble, you can always rotate the actual IACV off...lol

Not recommended since you're going to rip apart your gasket, but if you're going to replace them anyway, it's one way to get them off.

Once they're off, do like I told you and get some bolts and washers and replace them haha

thn116

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip but I ended taking the entire throttle body off. Its good I guess since I was able to clean out everything. I'm not sure if I felt a difference yet.

Last edited:

redlinevtec

Reaction score
son of a b***h. I lost my needle nose pliers and was just one clamp away from getting the iacv out. now it's dark. just have to wait for tomorrow for the results.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
I just replaced mine. Got my idle back now :)

Kind of weird how Honda installed this piece upside down so it WOULD collect gunk and fail ... grrrr.

Back