DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

2fast4all

Reaction score
My question- for those who have first hand experience with "real" CAI's or SRI's; how does the sound compare? My friend has an accord coupe with an AEM cold air, and his car sounds way better than mine. Not sure if it's due to the intake or not though.

Opinions?

Ive installed a 3'' air filter with the stock tubing.
Ive installed a spectre SRI system.

Both sound pretty loud at WOT. AEM is a high performance company so they know how to tune an intake very well and their good at it so its known to sound good (someone catch my lame nonsense please? :p)

I though about putting back on the filter back on but I like it the way it is now...stock and I like the cold air concept more than warm air.

stock intake box with k&n filter..

Ch1R

Reaction score
Did mine about a week and a half ago, and yea still quiet and pretty stock sound i think my exhaust makes most of the noise, but when revving high you can kinda hear it, in my car atleast.

JoeyG401

Reaction score
was about too do it yesterday until my friend warned me of hydrolock. i know its been a topic of discussion in the thread but has anyone experienced it with the modified OEM intake, or have any of you driven thru puddles?

dtraill27

Reaction score
I've drive through plenty of rain and puddles with it. On the v6 its high enough that its pretty hard for water to get in unless your driving in a 4 ft deep puddle lol

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
the filter on the aftermarket ebay ones sits just behind the battery it doesn't go as low as the stock resonator box, i have the v6. just about to put mine in too.. ill post pics.

Last edited:

juicebox00

Reaction score
was about too do it yesterday until my friend warned me of hydrolock. i know its been a topic of discussion in the thread but has anyone experienced it with the modified OEM intake, or have any of you driven thru puddles?

lololololol. just dont put the bottom part on, it's not necessary and doesn't make any difference. heck, if you want to actually make a DIY CAI/SRI literally cut off the bottom of the air box, and i'm being serious too. plus, that way you'll never hydrolock unless your engine bay was fully submerged...but then again, almost any car would in that situation

intel0116

Reaction score
in mine all i did was remove the resinator box, and cut the box that the airfilter rests in half making the bottom of the air filiter fulley exposed and then i put some weather striping around the bottom of the box to prevent the hot engine air from geting in. its pretty loud when i rev 3rpms or more, but under 3rpms it sounds stock..... but over all i do get better throttle responce....

jwong512

Reaction score
lololololol. just dont put the bottom part on, it's not necessary and doesn't make any difference. heck, if you want to actually make a DIY CAI/SRI literally cut off the bottom of the air box, and i'm being serious too. plus, that way you'll never hydrolock unless your engine bay was fully submerged...but then again, almost any car would in that situation

Exactly what most people should do. Also, be sure to get the Hybrid intake tubing. IMO, this sort of design gives our car the closest thing to OEM style CAI that most of the new cars utilize with sucking in air through the front of the hood. The only difference is that ours would be sucking in air through the wheel well. The good thing is that you still utilize the stock air box so that way the filter doesn't get heatsoaked like a SRI. However, you still won't get the amount of gains a true CAI has but CAI mainly has gains in top end, not low end.

Rooo0oach

Reaction score
I ran my accord for about a month without the resonator box, I did notice it was a bit louder compared to how it was, but I didn't really notice a power gain... if anything it seemed a bit sluggish of the line, and over taking on the high ways. when i put my SRI in I noticed it was considerably louder(nice sounding) over stock, and the sluggishness went away. i didnt cut up the snorkel to create a more direct flow into the air box, so that COULD probably explain the sluggishness i was experiencing.

Mikey

Reaction score
I ran the OEM, factory setup for a number of months, then ran an AEM SRI and an Injen SRI. The AEM is louder.

I just put the OEM intake and airbox back on but i left off the resonator.

I saw a drop in MPG when I switched to a SRI. I'll report back later, with numbers, if putting the OEM intake back on made a difference. Im hoping it does as I was seeing 20/24 MPG. Id like to see 22/26. Maybe even higher. I'll report back later.

Back