DIY Prothane Motor Mount Inserts!!

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
At this point, I'll only be covering the front mount since I haven't done the rear yet. First off is to jack the car up just enough to get under it with the jack a piece of wood. I don't think I need pictures for that. You are going to placing the wood between the jack and the oil pan to prevent denting.
Mount4.jpg

I used a wicked thick piece, I dont think it has to be that thick but I wasn't taking any chances. Once that's done you will see your front motor mount right in plain view between the block and radiator.
Mount1.jpg

On the right side of the mount you will see a bolt that goes completely through the mount, hence it's name the through bolt(17mm). Remove this first.
Mount2.jpg

Now here's where I have to improvise a bit. Your supposed to remove the mount to frame bolts that actually secure it to the frame. Im not gonna lie, those bad boy's wern't gonna budge. You can see in the picture below two of the three soaked in PB Blaster, they still didn't budge.
Mount3.jpg

I ended up removing the bracket that attaches to the block as those bolts(14mm) were MUCH easier to remove.
mount5.jpg

Mount6.jpg

Make a note that the bottom bolt is longer than the top two. Also, the o2 sensor plug bracket is attached to this so remove that with a 10mm socket. I used some synthetic grease I had left over from my PSPEC short shifter install that I used to lube the mounts. they don't go all the way in and from what I've seen they're not supposed to. It's going to take some presuasion to get that bracket back over the mount inserts, so don't give up if it's hard to put back on. And below is the finished product right after installation.
Mount7.jpg

They will settle in a bit, maybe move a centimeter or so outward after driving on them so don't panic. Overall, the job only took about 30 minutes and there is a noticeable difference in throttle response. The car does idle rough now, but I like it that way. Some people may take a while to get used to it, but once you do you wont notice it anymore.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
The only reason I posted it is because I touched base with you first about it sticking out a bit. I MAY do the rear today.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's mine. I only got the front kit, I think it was like $16 or something.

P1000268.jpg

Last edited:

cg6boi

Reaction score
does anyone know if the whole prothane kit from energy suspension for the 5th gen work on the 6th gen? i need new bumpstops and want to upgrade from rubber for everything else and i dont know anyone who makes them for our car...especially the bumpstops for the coilovers.....HELP!

Back