Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Pattwak I would obtain the relay from the dealer. There is a chance an Autozone or similar will be carrying the older relay still if they never sold them all and bought the newer ones to stock. Which means you could have this problem again.

Alright members here are photos as promised. I showed the relay from a few different angles so y'all can distinguish what side is what in relation to where the release is, etc. You should be able to tell what orientation the relay is plugged in under your dash, thus knowing where to puncture it by referencing these photos.

The side with the broken clip and puncture hole is obviously where the release is.

The last pic showing the circuit board is where your problem is occurring. You need a magnifying glass to tell which solder points have cracks in them unless you have eagle eyes.

Hope this helps everyone!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The elusive main relay, solved.

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for that. Now I just have to order it and find the wy to reach it. How do you break that clip? Just yank on it?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Pry with a big flathead should do it. I would break it at one end, leaving a "tab" thus giving you something to lift up on so it breaks at the other end. You may also have to drill it out if prying it off doesn't work.

Don't be afraid to break it, it's useless after you get it out. Obviously make sure your battery is disconnected.

pattywak

Reaction score
Alright, thank you so much. I just called Honda and they have the relay in stock. I just have to pick it up in the new few days and then get up under my dash.

pattywak

Reaction score
Nah man, as soon as I started having this problem more frequently I put everything else on the backburner and focused completely on fixing my car maintenance-wise...it's just a weird thing I do I guess. lol. If something isn't working properly on my car, I always want to fix it before modding more.

twokAccord

Reaction score
i used to have that problem, i would mess around with the spark plugs and then it would start

lordofgroove

Reaction score
See thats what happens with mine too. When it doesn't work, I pull the wires from the dist. cap and reattach then pull the wires from each plug and reattach, then it usually works, but i don't know if its from pulling the wires that fixes it or just coincidence with giving it a break and then trying again, but it seems to always work after messing with the wires, still think its main relay though?

pattywak

Reaction score
i used to have that problem, i would mess around with the spark plugs and then it would start

See thats what happens with mine too. When it doesn't work, I pull the wires from the dist. cap and reattach then pull the wires from each plug and reattach, then it usually works, but i don't know if its from pulling the wires that fixes it or just coincidence with giving it a break and then trying again, but it seems to always work after messing with the wires, still think its main relay though?

I mean, if you find something that works then by all means keep doing it. But if it was for me, I would replace the main relay first because doing all this work every time your car doesn't start seems like a huge hassle, and the main relay seems like it won't be that difficult to replace. So I would try the main relay first, then if you still have the problem move to other options.

But like I said, that's just me. The first step for me is replacing this main relay, and if that doesn't work I will have to look at other options like the fuel pump, etc.

lordofgroove

Reaction score
Yeah i'm with you, gonna go get one now, or try anyway. Hopefully that'll fix me up. Its so frustrating when your car doesn't start. Something i've taken for granted up until this started happening, ya know?

Back