Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

pattywak

Reaction score
Yeah, my car starting every time is something I've really taken for granted. It's really embarrassing when me and my friends are about to go somewhere and we all get situated in my car and it doesn't start...and then we all have to get out and get in someone else's car. Haha.

finch13

Reaction score
See thats what happens with mine too. When it doesn't work, I pull the wires from the dist. cap and reattach then pull the wires from each plug and reattach, then it usually works, but i don't know if its from pulling the wires that fixes it or just coincidence with giving it a break and then trying again, but it seems to always work after messing with the wires, still think its main relay though?

Are the contacts on your distributor cap corroded with a white cauliflower looking crap? That's a good sign you need to replace the cap, rotor and plug wires. Use only OEM plug wires.

lordofgroove

Reaction score
Nah, see thats what i initially thought was the prob, so i replaced Dist. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Used NGK Plugs and even sprang for the high end NGK wires, thought that fixed me up, but the same thing happend again about 2 weeks later, when it was hot outside again. All of the symptoms seem to point to the main relay, at least based on everyone else experiences. Thats what's so frustrating about this issue, it only happens to me once every few weeks and thats if its going to happen, its not regular at all, so I guess if i replace the relay and it goes 2 months or so without doing it, i'll know I fixed the problem, or hope i did anyway.

pattywak

Reaction score
Alright, so I got the new main relay. Instead of Siemens, it says Tyco on top. For those who have gotten the main relay from the dealership, is this the same brand you have?

lordofgroove

Reaction score
Mine says BDH, i think. I'm at work so its not in front of me, but i got mine at Advanced Auto Parts. Hoping to tackle that this weekend.

pattywak

Reaction score
Okay, I am uner my dash right now typing this on my phone. I took apart the dash and I have all the wires exposed. Someone said it was to the left of the steering wheel, about an arms length up if you lay o your back on the floor. Thing is, im laying right now and I can't even seewhere I could get my arm into this mess of wires...I need help asap.

Back