First Subwoofer Setup

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am not very good with car electronics, and am looking to get some bass in the car on a budget. I found a used setup for 2 x JBL 12" subs in a bassworx box, and a 4 channel kicker amp with crossover for 250$. The amp is a kicker sx-700.

Would this be a good setup? What other components should I buy before taking them to the local audio shop?

Sorry for being a noob :p

Thank you

schmiddr2

Reaction score
That should be a good system assuming the box is correct for those subs. You need to make sure the amp is compatible with those subs too. I would add the JBL MS-62C or Polk 6501 speakers for the front; don't worry about getting rear speakers.

Last edited:

edzyy

Reaction score
ditch the box and install them infinite baffle
diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/147692-first-go-infinite-baffle-install.html

that kicker is the 4 channel? If so, it would be great bridged to a pair of components

Last edited:

edzyy

Reaction score
Welcome edzyy. I didn't know you had a 6th GEN. Why no build log on diyma?

I had a 00 sedan years ago

Surprisingly ran into a 98 coupe with 55k miles for 4k from an old lady and grabbed it.

The paint is in awful condition & the interior is sun damaged, so it's been rotting in the garage for the past month.

Build log once I get her looking pretty again

schmiddr2

Reaction score
55K, lol. I'm at 207K. I'm sure you can get 200K+ without much issue, other than Auto trans rebuild (if applicable). Nice find man.

I'm sure you have seen it, but there are some easy/cheap maintenance things to do in the Official 6GA DIY Master List

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Anyway an update:

Tomorrow I am meeting up with this guy. If all goes well I should be the owner of 2 10" Alpine Type S' in a ported box

Now the guy told me that they are Dual Voice Coil and 4 ohms (each one). He also said he had EACH one wired to 2ohms and to its own terminal.

Does this mean I have to buy a dual channel amp? Or is there some way to wire a mono amp to 2 terminals? Each sub is rated for 300 RMS, so what kind of an amp would I need specs wise?

i would buy an amp kit because they will upsell you on that

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz...Amp-Kit-Installation-Wiring-Kit-/390566057160

its cca but you arent pulling too much current. you should be fine

So the amp wiring kit, the subs and the amp are the only things I should bring to the shop right? Now if I use the system mentioned above is this wiring kit still good, or do I need a different kind?

schmiddr2

Reaction score
You really need to know the sub model number so you are not guessing at the ohm rating for each coil. Once you know for sure, just check here to see if you can get a 4ohm final load and it will work with that amp: subwoofer wiring diagrams. The amp should provide 350W to the subs when bridged; which will be plenty. Then just get speakers for the front and wire those to the other 2 channels of the amp. Done.

Back