First Subwoofer Setup

edzyy

Reaction score
I'd be very reluctant to buy 2 subs in some prefab ported box with an owner that wired it the way he did. VERY.

Thanks for the link, schmiddr2.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Anyway guys I bought the sub's, they are pretty great. They are two Alpine Type S sub's , 10" each, mint condition and the box is nice. They do pound hard. Now I am going to get an amp that's probably around 1000W / 500 RMS. I talked to an audio shop and they told me that I would need a capacitor (100$), the 4 gauge wiring (70$) and the labour totaling about 400$. This is crazy, can I just buy a cheaper 4 gauge amp kit somewhere else? Do I need a capacitor?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
You could get away with 8 awg if you're really trying to save money.

You don't need a cap, but it'll help to make your electrical system more stable without upgrading other things.

schmiddr2

Reaction score

gt58

Reaction score
please please watch this whole video. i want the whole car stereo scene to get rid of caps. they are bs unless you are buying one that is VERY expensive.

imo ditch the cap, get the knukoncepts 4 gauge cca amp kit and get an amp that is CEA complaint.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
I accidently bought the crappiest 4 guage wiring kit ever, its closer to 6 or 8 (American Legacy)

Do you think it would be safe to stick with this one or should I go to my local audio shop and drop another 80$ to get a real 4 guage? I cant wait for ebay shipping

The amp I am running is only going to be 500W RMS

schmiddr2

Reaction score
It could also be CCA, it's hard to tell. I would ditch it. Power wire and RCA's are things you can and will leave in for the next few systems you change to so it's good to do it right the first time.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
So you're saying you bought a 4 awg kit that turns out to have 6 or 8?

Basically. I bought the 4 guage kit, which is actually more like a 6 or 8 gauge with a boatload of insulation around it.. Jeez what a scam

I got a hook up at and audio shop to get an actual 4 guage wiring kit for 60$ when I go do my install on Wednesday. Although having an amp thats only 500 RMS, I am thinking maybe the 6/8 guage kit I already bought would be suitable?

However as schmiddr2 pointed out it makes more sense to just buy the right one the first time, even if I did waste money on that crappy kit :icon_toilet:

Back