Frankensteins Official Thread

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Jeez still getting 40mpg doing 3500 rpm?

My F23 does right at 3000rpm at 80mph and gets 27mpg doing that lol

capsidx

Reaction score
Jeez still getting 40mpg doing 3500 rpm?

My F23 does right at 3000rpm at 80mph and gets 27mpg doing that lol
Yea there’s something ridiculous about this 2.0. Maybe because it’s smaller it consumes less fuel and the compression is 11:1, plus it burns cleaner since it’s 93 coupled with a manual transmission and designed to be at this range. Some Honda magic going on here for sure lol. I can tell you though just like my high hp low torque scenario, my mpg is the same. It’s horrible in the city, like low 20-18. If I do pulls it drains the gas like a vampire. It’s running the stock 310cc injectors but I have kept an eye on the plugs and sure enough, even with no o2 sensor it’s burning perfect.

My o2 sensor has been out for a few weeks but my gas mileage has remained unchanged for the most part. I will say the 3000 rpm flat spot I had is now gone since it’s been out. It was either an issue with the fuel table or it was leaning out. More information than you asked for but what can I say, I live for cars lol.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i've heard of people putting a 6th gens 5th gear in the prelude trans just for better highway cruising rpm. have you considered that? it may not be worth the effort unless you really want it though haha.

capsidx

Reaction score
i've heard of people putting a 6th gens 5th gear in the prelude trans just for better highway cruising rpm. have you considered that? it may not be worth the effort unless you really want it though haha.
Yea I’ve heard of that but like I said, I don’t really want a 4 speed with a long overdrive gear lol. I like the 5 short gears. I’ve heard of guys adding a 6th gear with some parts from a tsx manual. Personally I’m not too great at transmission work. I opened a 6th gen trans, some parts fell out and that transmission became useless :lawl:

I think I can live with it though. I mean I still get great gas mileage. It’s really the drone that annoys me. Waiting on a resonator and some other exhaust parts to solve the issue. Thanks for the input though. I can clearly see you’re trying to sabotage my gear ratios so if we ever run I won’t have a chance. Nice try though :lawl:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Yes and no. Tires only play a large enough part when it comes grip. Rotational mass for cars in roughly the same bracket is null and void. Gear ratios are a big factor but only to a degree. If my car topped out at 100 I’d fly through gears but I could still lose to a car with a little more power and longer gears. It really comes down to power to weight ratio. That’s where it makes all the difference. Gear ratios help but I’m sure an h22 would be able to take me out with an f23 transmission even though it has way longer gears it still has the power to pull through them

Also that being said, I seriously wish I had a 6th gear [emoji24]. This thing is at like 3500 on the highway doing like 80-85. Still gets roughly 40mpg highway but I’d be in heaven if I could get 2000 rpms on the highway and still keep my short gears in the city. However, I’m glad it’s 5 short gears and not like the f23 where it’s basically 4 regular gears and an overdrive. It’s like a 4 speed lol.

Also I value your opinion, just in case you were wondering. Just sharing mine. And nam, I’m sorry you had to drive the ecoboost lol. My condolences :lawl:

I'm working on a 5spd swap on my Thunderbird. I know we will probably never run, but it would be hella fun to run against each other.

Suspension is just about done, save for a couple minor parts on back order. The 5spd will really wake her up coming from a 3spd +OD AT. Being in control of the gears will be simply awesome. The big one though will be the trac-lok gears.

And yes, I know she's a fat pig, so I know I probably won't win on the top end (205HP / 280TQ) with the stock engine. :lawl:. With the engine I want though.....

capsidx

Reaction score
I'm working on a 5spd swap on my Thunderbird. I know we will probably never run, but it would be hella fun to run against each other.

Suspension is just about done, save for a couple minor parts on back order. The 5spd will really wake her up coming from a 3spd +OD AT. Being in control of the gears will be simply awesome. The big one though will be the trac-lok gears.

And yes, I know she's a fat pig, so I know I probably won't win on the top end (205HP / 280TQ) with the stock engine. :lawl:. With the engine I want though.....
Yea it would be fun :lawl: but it wouldn’t even be a fair race. I have a way better power to weight ratio, about 2000 more rpms per gear and that awesome vtec :lawl: seriously, without vtec this engine would be useless but I would run just to meet up lol. A lot of American cars in my class bracket lose because of weight, lack of hp and low redline. It’s usually more tq over hp because of the displacement. I don’t mean to disrespect though lol.

With the engine work I’ve done I’ve compared numerous speedometer runs on the Jdm cf4 accord and I’m much faster than a factory accord SIR T. I’m happy with those results. I’ve managed to get the 0-60 down to roughly 6 seconds. So I’ve managed to get it down by a full second which is a lot without adding anything. I’ve been obsessed with spoon sports and I’ve adopted their mentality it working with what you already have.

So far I’m slightly slower than a brand new wrx with a stage 1 tune. After some head work and manifold work I’ll be faster. This engine has been a dream but I understand there are plenty of cars that can crush me with half throttle lol. I also haven’t mentioned the suspension is really good. No body roll and it’s comfortable for daily use. I can’t wait to take it on the track and see how it really performs.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Yea it would be fun :lawl: but it wouldn’t even be a fair race. I have a way better power to weight ratio, about 2000 more rpms per gear and that awesome vtec :lawl: seriously, without vtec this engine would be useless but I would run just to meet up lol. A lot of American cars in my class bracket lose because of weight, lack of hp and low redline. It’s usually more tq over hp because of the displacement. I don’t mean to disrespect though lol.

With the engine work I’ve done I’ve compared numerous speedometer runs on the Jdm cf4 accord and I’m much faster than a factory accord SIR T. I’m happy with those results. I’ve managed to get the 0-60 down to roughly 6 seconds. So I’ve managed to get it down by a full second which is a lot without adding anything. I’ve been obsessed with spoon sports and I’ve adopted their mentality it working with what you already have.

So far I’m slightly slower than a brand new wrx with a stage 1 tune. After some head work and manifold work I’ll be faster. This engine has been a dream but I understand there are plenty of cars that can crush me with half throttle lol. I also haven’t mentioned the suspension is really good. No body roll and it’s comfortable for daily use. I can’t wait to take it on the track and see how it really performs.

For sure. Meeting up with you would be hella fun. With the 5spd swap in my T-Bird though, I'd be able to keep it in the optimal power band of the car longer and with more control over the AT. You definitely have me on weight. Like I said, the T-Bird is a fat pig weighing in at 3,400Lbs on a good day. Off the line I'm sure I'd get you, because torque, :lawl:. But we know you'd get me later on.

But I'm not building my T-Bird for the 1/4 mile because that's boring. I'm building my T-Bird for Auto-X :). Hence, the suspension and 5spd swap taking priority over engine work. I've already upgraded the intake manifold and cams with the one from a Mustang GT. Straight up bolt on mods for an extra 25HP over stock. I'm running probably 230HP (~188WHP, assuming 18% drive train power loss).

What will make my T-Bird unique over the majority of the other T-Bird guys is that I'm building mine to be Auto-X specific. Most of the guys build their T-Bird for the 1/4 mile so they keep their AT and run at least a 2800 stall and no less than 3.73 gears. The fastest NA T-Bird runs consistently runs in the high 12s. The fastest (street legal) FI T-Bird consistently runs mid 10s. Nothing wrong with building a 1/4 mile car, but it's not my cup of tea. I like driving in the mountains and canyons, but now that I'm a family man, I can't be doing that for the risk of going over the side of a mountain again :lawl:. That's not to say that I won't go up my local mountain in the T-Bird though once it's done for "testing" :lawl:.

As for redline on the 4.6L block, with the right mods, it can easily handle upto 8,000 RPM no sweat. Ford just decided to dial back the engine on their stock tune to 6,000 RPM. So I know I can get up there, but that's far later for me. I still need to upgrade the rear differential to trac-lok and upgrade my brakes before I touch the engine.

capsidx

Reaction score
For sure. Meeting up with you would be hella fun. With the 5spd swap in my T-Bird though, I'd be able to keep it in the optimal power band of the car longer and with more control over the AT. You definitely have me on weight. Like I said, the T-Bird is a fat pig weighing in at 3,400Lbs on a good day. Off the line I'm sure I'd get you, because torque, :lawl:. But we know you'd get me later on.

But I'm not building my T-Bird for the 1/4 mile because that's boring. I'm building my T-Bird for Auto-X :). Hence, the suspension and 5spd swap taking priority over engine work. I've already upgraded the intake manifold and cams with the one from a Mustang GT. Straight up bolt on mods for an extra 25HP over stock. I'm running probably 230HP (~188WHP, assuming 18% drive train power loss).

What will make my T-Bird unique over the majority of the other T-Bird guys is that I'm building mine to be Auto-X specific. Most of the guys build their T-Bird for the 1/4 mile so they keep their AT and run at least a 2800 stall and no less than 3.73 gears. The fastest NA T-Bird runs consistently runs in the high 12s. The fastest (street legal) FI T-Bird consistently runs mid 10s. Nothing wrong with building a 1/4 mile car, but it's not my cup of tea. I like driving in the mountains and canyons, but now that I'm a family man, I can't be doing that for the risk of going over the side of a mountain again :lawl:. That's not to say that I won't go up my local mountain in the T-Bird though once it's done for "testing" :lawl:.

As for redline on the 4.6L block, with the right mods, it can easily handle upto 8,000 RPM no sweat. Ford just decided to dial back the engine on their stock tune to 6,000 RPM. So I know I can get up there, but that's far later for me. I still need to upgrade the rear differential to trac-lok and upgrade my brakes before I touch the engine.
Yea I don’t see you turning up the rpm by 2000 and having it be reliable :lawl: they don’t turn it down that much. It’s usually 1000. With how much your car weighs and since it has less hp you’d get crushed lol. No offense. I searched around and compared my current 0-80 to a few different thunderbirds. Once I pass 15 mph it’s not even a race :lawl: I have every advantage on my side, gear ratios, power to weight, redline, top end hp and aerodynamics(arguable lol). You’re taking a car that makes less hp but more torque and adding a considerable amount of weight.

Torque would get you off the line quicker but once I hit 4,000 rpm (where my powerband starts) it’s over from there [emoji28]. Again. No offense. I just know I’d win with the numbers and the comparisons I’ve done. I’ve done a lot so far :lawl: do you have a members ride thread? I’ve never seen anyone build a thunderbird lol

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Yea I don’t see you turning up the rpm by 2000 and having it be reliable :lawl: they don’t turn it down that much. It’s usually 1000. With how much your car weighs and since it has less hp you’d get crushed lol. No offense. I searched around and compared my current 0-80 to a few different thunderbirds. Once I pass 15 mph it’s not even a race :lawl: I have every advantage on my side, gear ratios, power to weight, redline, top end hp and aerodynamics(arguable lol). You’re taking a car that makes less hp but more torque and adding a considerable amount of weight.

Torque would get you off the line quicker but once I hit 4,000 rpm (where my powerband starts) it’s over from there [emoji28]. Again. No offense. I just know I’d win with the numbers and the comparisons I’ve done. I’ve done a lot so far :lawl: do you have a members ride thread? I’ve never seen anyone build a thunderbird lol

With the right mods on the T-Bird though, I'd like to differ on where we'd stand :). The results may surprise you ;). A stock crank is good for 450HP and be DD reliable, and no amount of mods will make those number on N/A. IIRC, the highest N/A number is 410HP. The weakest link on the 4.6L engine are the timing chains. As long as the chain tensioners are full of oil and the chain guides are up, the engine is solid. The only reasons why the engine itself would blow up is because of low oil / oil pressure. I'm not denying that the T-Bird is heavy. I'm not denying that in my (essentially) stock engine, you'd beat me. I'm just saying that with the right mods, in that race against each other, you'd be.....not winning.

As for builds, here are a few:

PHATBIRD. This is old. He's done a ton more work since then and puts up higher numbers now. He's looking to sell the car these days though due to personal issues.

OxmanWI and his Coyote swapped T-Bird. He's done a ton more work to his build since posting this. IIRC, he's got a 2.4L whipple (or roots, I forget) SC on top of the engine now. IIRC, he's claims over 700HP. Build thread.

RaceCougar. Not a build thread, but an older post of his. He's got a '95 Cougar (same as T-Bird....think Accord and CL). His is built specifically for the 1/4 mile. He's also done a lot more work to the car since this post.

There are several others out there. I'd post more of them, but it's late and I have to *try* and get some sleep, lol. Got work in the AM.

Back