Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (updated 5/16/12)

AF- Yeah it made a huge difference, it was practically night and day.

My guess it was because it was so clogged up, and never cleaned that it freed up a lot of restriction on the motor. With that being said it was for sure contaminating the intake charge no doubt, on top of that it was greatly affecting the A/F ratio especially now that i'm running e85 and it needs even more of the fuel to get the desired A/F ratio. e85 is cleaner anyway lawl.

I'm guessing that while under boost that it was pressurized to the point that it was both affecting boost and either could not keep up due to the significant increase in air/carbon/nitrogen so that it would be either withholding too much exhaust back or none at all.

Without it now, all of the air now goes straight into the head (I can just adjust a/f ratio as required for the desired affect) and there is no hold back. With all that air and fuel being dumped into the combustion chamber it's all going to get burned up anyway, therefore the EGR is completely redundant and unnecessary.

AFAccord

Reaction score

I figure the amount of recirculated exhaust gas that it could be introducing into a boosted engine could easily be enough to cause detonation, especially when that engine is already pushing the envelope. Scary to think about... I'm actually considering filling in the ports at each end with an aluminum filler while my things are apart.

9450erick

Reaction score

can you block off the egr without a tune? and being completely stock? lol

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

I figure the amount of recirculated exhaust gas that it could be introducing into a boosted engine could easily be enough to cause detonation, especially when that engine is already pushing the envelope. Scary to think about... I'm actually considering filling in the ports at each end with an aluminum filler while my things are apart.

+1 man.. great idea!!! No reason to have that extra risk, turbulence, and volume consistently available.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

I agree that's probably the scariest thing about it! Not a bad idea at all....

can you block off the egr without a tune? and being completely stock? lol

I have a feeling that will make multiple things go berserk on a stock ECU.

+1 man.. great idea!!! No reason to have that extra risk, turbulence, and volume consistently available.
^ 2nd that Nikita!

Progress Update - 5/24/12

So made a little bit of progress this afternoon, but caused a little more confusion, wanted to see what your opinion is or if i'm thinking in the right direction.

SO... I went to see what removing the MSD ignition would do to the way the car runs, idles, etc. (due to me existing idle and drive-ability issues) and to do so, I had to switch over the igniter, coil, and magnet sensor out due to how it was wired due to the MSD, and swap out those parts with another, un-molested, distributor that still had the factory harness on it. The car started up, and ran perfect. Idles waaaaay better (with exception of necessary adjustments needed on the EMS) and had a smooth flow during acceleration.

Although I seem to be running into the original problem that I had in the beginning at 12psi, that it cuts out due to a spark/ignition issue and the Stock internal Coil voltage cannot keep up....

I started looking at the wiring and came up with a few thoughts and wanted some opinions... I have the 6al, and blaster II external coil wired into where the stock coil would be wired into, and a modified cap to accept a tower for the coil wire. However, when I was looking at it, I think there is a wiring issue that is causing the issue.

Here is how it should be wired per MSD:
blaster.jpg

Here's the wiring diagram for the distributor for stock wiring harness or at least close enough to get the idea:
Untitled-3.jpg

So, I think it has been wired wrong, cause i'm thinking that obviously the stock ignition coil is removed, and you then wire the external (blaster coil II) into where the stock coil was wired to.

On mine, this holds true. However, the rest of the wiring is all fudged up and nowhere near to what the stock wiring is OR MSD requirements. There are wires crossed, combined, and running left and right inside the distributor cap and I don't think that is correct. That, and I believe the magnetic pickup (from the 6al) is supposed to be unused in our cars and for some reason runs into my car and am assuming into the EMS. There is no need for it to be connected to the EMS a second time, as stock wiring already controls everything and the MSD increases the voltage for the higher boost. Couldn't tell you if I personally did it wrong, or I solely rewired the already incorrectly wired MSD ignition system from the original shop.....

Here's where my dilemma is:
Option #1 --- I can try going for a tune without the MSD installed, and i'm almost positive the ignition system will not be able to hold more than 12-13psi and i'm back at step one (right now), have to rewire the system and come back for another session and i'm out around $140 to figure this out on a dyno when I think I know it right now....

OR

Option #2 --- I take it back apart, wire it as stated above, Per MSD, and OEM wiring diagrams, have it how the system should run, and then go for a re-tune, as this is how I was able to make 335whp the first go around and don't think I should change it now. If it doesn't work, then so be it, and i'll go a different route. But, at least I knew I was correcting it per wiring diagrams in lieu of a shot in the dark without trying, sell it, and find out I need it later anyway. Worst case, I have to revert back to Stock wiring and stock coil. But at least I tried first.

Do you guys have any input, experience, thoughts?

hahaha38

Reaction score

The stock honda coil setup is good for 500+hp. Don't see how that could be causing issues. What are you gapping your spark plugs at?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

^ True this, I have heard it as well though have never experienced it myself. I'd just try to run it with stock ignition Devin, why was it giving you issues earlier? Maybe the issue is in spark plug gap and ignition timing?

hotaccord243

Reaction score

I know i've heard this as well, but, still have yet to see this. I have swapped out every part inside of the distributor, the cap, the rotor, and all to see if that will fix the problem and nothing.

I have tried plugs 1 step and 2 step colder with gaps ranging from .0018 to .0030 including all increments in between.

I feel like I have tried all combinations of stock ignition and plug combinations and still am not able to get this ignition to work past 12psi..... Trust me, i believe the 500whp is good on a Honda stock ignition, but for some reason my car leads me in the other direction..... and it's quite frustrating....:madrun:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

I will Nikita! Theres nooo way I'll give up now being sooooo close!
I'll get there!

Does anyone have any ideas? I think when I have some time, I'll attempt to re-wire it the correct way and see what happens and if that changes anything. If not revert to stock and go with an aem external cool setup or something......:rock:

Back