Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

AFAccord

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/4/13

Just check with Fidanza and make sure the shop has the right step specs.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

^ Thanks for the tip Jason, I might be calling you when I actually get to that point for more info haha.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Just check with Fidanza and make sure the shop has the right step specs.

Yeah as long as you have the right specs for the step and how much material can come off then they should be able to take care of you no problem!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So went to a shop around town on Saturday, and ended up throwing the car on the dyno to see what would happen for the heck of it..... Below is the graph.

102013Dyno_zps0a4a0613.jpg

The clutch ended up slipping on the dyno. Still made 365whp (and now finally have an idea where the wtq is at too!)....

But this is where I am baffled.... Brand new clutch disc. Broken in per ACT's specifications. Held on the road just fine in 3rd gear. Get it on the dyno and it slips (you can tell where it does on the dyno graph too). This morning tried again and sure enough the clutch is slipping again in 3rd gear pulls.

I just don't get it. Brand new finished surface on the flywheel, brand new clutch, and re-used pressure plate. Clutch line is all bled (to the best of my knowledge) but why in the ****** is it slipping???????? :Frustrated:

I can't think of anything that would come to mind in why this would be happening... I'm going to get a hold of ACT direct and find out what the h*ll is going on and what their response is and try to get my money back or something. Worst case scenario I'll have to go to twin/triple disc setup and everything will be all new...

grrrr.. any help/input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

After thinking about it some more this morning, my guess if I made 365whp and 318wtq WITH the clutch slipping, my guess is I would of made significantly more than last time, just due to the fact of larger intercooler and relocated air intake for the turbo. Would've of been quite interesting to actually see what kind of difference just those two items make....

Maybe once I get the clutch working, I'll go for a tune, and have them do one run without adjustments just to see what the baseline difference is between the intercoolers and intake....

Last edited:

Chorilored

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/21/13

nice numbers man, how are you making significantly more hp than tq on the f23?

hotaccord243

Reaction score

nice numbers man, how are you making significantly more hp than tq on the f23?

Thanks, but keep in mind, nothing has changed on the "tune" it was actually 2whp less than last dyno time and tune WITH the clutch slipping. The only things that changed was intercooler, intake, and clutch...

The clutch was slipping a majority of third gear so i'm sure significant amounts of whp and more so wtq was lost when that occurred....

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Nice, still some great numbers bro! I'm sure you would have made more without slippage, but that's another gremlin to figure out I guess! I think I'll just go right to the twin clutch setup for mine to eliminate the possibility of this happening. Laying low for the time being.. But making progress steadily .. :secret:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So talked to ACT direct on Friday and here is what they told me:

We discussed many possibilities of things going wrong, and came down to a few things:

- Assembly grease on disc hub was put on too heavy and flew around and causing grip loss of clutch (Highly unlikely, as i probably didn't put enough on and was very conservative with it)
- I could disassemble the whole clutch/flywheel and pay shipping to/from there and $80 for their testing and they tell me what's wrong with it
- OR it most likely could be the pressure plate losing clamp force as it has been in the car too long and over time, they lose clamping force (Which makes the most sense).

They offered to sell me a discounted pressure plate finally. Which I think I may try to purchase a new pressure plate from them or somebody and install that and see if this is the problem. If all else fails I'll be going twin disc.

Any opinions or experiences with any of this?

Back