High RPM's????

HondaBoy2292

Reaction score
My car was running at around 3k-4k rpm's at only 60-70 mph. But then three hours later I took it out again and seemed fine. Is there something that needs to be fixed or something I need to worry about? I am a complete noob when it comes to engine problems, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

nyknick1015

Reaction score
are you sure you didnt have it in d3... at 60mph in an auto, it would do that!! thats like driving in high gear

HondaBoy2292

Reaction score
It's an 1999 lx auto, damn it might have been in d3... is there like a cutoff speed at d3? or does the rpm just increase?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
theres no cutoff speed but it does rev higher... more or less for driving up hill and not putting too much strain on the engine and tranny

dtraill27

Reaction score
ive driven like that with it in d3 for like 5 mins before i realized why i was reving so high. hopefully that was the cause of your problem

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
It's an 1999 lx auto, damn it might have been in d3... is there like a cutoff speed at d3? or does the rpm just increase?

"d3" is third gear of the auto trans. if you did leave it in d3, the revs would be higher due to the trans not being "allowed" to shift into 4th.

im guessing that all you did was leave it in d3. the rpm range sounds about right for that kind of mistake haha.

botang47

Reaction score
Better. Leaving the ebrake on and driving with it on can cause your brakes to heat up enough to catch on fire.

Guilty. My mother leaves the e-brake on after she drives and I never even bother checking. She's from China. Alot of hills in China?

Back