i need help with my 98 with ulev

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpn

Reaction score
ok so first off let me say hi to everybody since i am new here. i just recently bought a 98 4dr ex off my friend that had done a ulev swap to it. the reason he did it was because his brother blew up his stock vtec motor. now the car has the stock 5spd tranny with the stock ecu and the 2000 ulev engine in it. i have no speedo and a distributor code. what can i do to fix these problems and do i HAVE to get a ulev ecu or can i use the stock 98 vtec one? any help would be greatly apperciated thanks

also if a ulev ecu is needed how can i get my 98 vin flashed onto the ecu to pass inspection

Last edited:

bjorkmae

Reaction score
The biggest difference between the stock ULEV and the stock vtech is the exhaust manifold or so I have been told. Now the oxygen sensor is also different on the ULEV but just use your stock vtech one and all will be fine. Make sure he plugged the speedo in, its down low under the intake tube on the tranny. Perhaps the distributor is different on the ULEV from the stock VTEC but I doubt it. DOes he still have the old engine?

jpn

Reaction score
the old engine was sold since it was a turboed then blown but my main question i guess is do i need a ulev ecu since it went from non-ulev to ulev?

finch13

Reaction score
Yes, you need the ULEV ECU. The ULEV motor uses a wideband O2 sensor and a 32-bit computer, so it's necessary to properly run the car.

jpn

Reaction score
is there any way i can make a ulev ecu match my vin from my 98 so i can pass inspection?

Drift

Reaction score
There was no mention of an O2 code.

What exactly was the dizzy code?

bjorkmae

Reaction score
Couldn't he just put the regular O2 sensor in there and take care of the problem? Unless the guy also swapped the wiring harness the wide band won't even plug into the regular harness. Seems a lot simpler then getting the ulev computer and matching keys are having the dealer program new keys.

jpn

Reaction score
Couldn't I just run the stock 98 electionics. Like take sensors from a stock 98 motor and put them on the ulev engine. I just want this car to run good. Right now there's no vtec and it feels like a low comp engine.

jpn

Reaction score
Ok so I checked the codes again and its the speed sensors and p1382 which was a cylinder sensor so can anyone tell me where that is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back