Installed Cold Air intake now engine wants to die! Somebody help..

VitoHGrind

Reaction score
Ok so last night I finally got around to installing my AEM CAI on my 02 coupe MT. I started it up and everything sounded great I was all excited. I started to back out of my friends garage and as I was holding the clutch just letting it roll, it died. I thought maybe I had let it out too much w/o givin enough gas and started it back up. Died again while I held the clutch. So I threw it in neutral to test this clutch-dieing thing. Basically when there's no gas given, it starts to idle really low for a moment then just cuts out - sort of like not giving enough gas while in gear, but w/o all the violent shaking.

But then there's more.

Its late and I'm tired so I say screw it, I'll ride the gas a little on the way home. I start to pull away and the car starts shaking and basically rev-limiting at 3k rpm. It feels like the rev limiter has been reset to 3k. I shift through the gears and it does it in each gear, rev-limiting/shaking at 3k. I pull up to the first stop light, hold the clutch/give a little gas, and I hear this violent intermittent popping sound coming from the right side of the engine. Light changes, i pull off, hear a little more, then it dies out again until the next light.

By the time i'm home, the popping has stopped and the engine idles very closely to cutting off but manages to hang in there. Cut off then on again, however, and it dies in neutral.

So what the hell is going on? :(

Potential sources of problems:
-> Bad O2 sensor in exhaust headers. Ordered a new one, but these bastards at E'ghey took a month to send me the wrong one. :squintfinger:
-> I don't have the clamps on the rubber connector hose between the throttle body and the intake pipe. For whatever reason kit didnt have em and the 2.75" clamps i bought aren't big enough even though directions call for 2.5". The fit was extremely snug and I figured it would be ok till today.
-> Splash shield/fender liner that the filter is supposed to sit behind is missing. The SS covers most of wheel well, but near the front and under the right side of the bumper it looks like its been cut out. Directions say not replacing SS will lead to decrease performance.

I know thats a lot, but the whole car-no-workey thing is pretty big to me. I haven't tried to drive it yet today for fear of making it worse. Anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem? Please help..

VitoHGrind

Reaction score
Not since I restarted it. But the whole while I was doing the install the battery was disconnected. I'll try it again now tho.

nexTOme

Reaction score
i had a similar problem......

but fuel filter/pump was the problem for me....just thorowing some ideas...

VitoHGrind

Reaction score
did you unplug the map sensor or anything on the throttle body.

That is exaclty it. I disconnected the map sensor when I was hooking everything up and forgot to reconnect it. :bash: See this is why u don't work on stuff at midnight. Im a genius i know..

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

nexTOme

Reaction score
glad to hear that you can start your car now.....

just wondering tho...why did you have to disconnect map sensor? to install intake? all i did was just unbolt my stock airbox, and install SRI onto my throttle body...thats it.....i didnt have to mess with any sensors....hmmmm

Back