loose endlinks bolts (stripped)

xluben

Reaction score
two of my endlink bolts are stripped (the 5mm hex key part is rounded out).

so the connections are pretty loose. both of the bolts are on the same side.

i tried clamping on to the threads but could not hold tight enough. i also
tried slotting out the bolt and using a flat head to get it to turn, but couln't
get enough torque to get the nut to turn :(

anyone know that part number for the replacement bolts:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=REAR+LOWER+ARM

i think i'm just gonna have to cut off the old ones and install some new ones.

also, is there any danger (of damaging my car or worse) in having a loose rear sway bar?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i dont think theirs any danger in it being loose, just take it easy driving. i can get part numbers for you tomorrow and post them tomorrow night if you want. and yea, best way to replace them would be to cut em off i would say.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cut em! There's no danger, I currently have no rear sway b/c I'm lazy about getting new endlinks.

simplesedan99

Reaction score
jus buy new ones and if you have gotten one side off thats good cuz then you just use those bolts on the new ones....when i put my aftermarket sway on i had to cut mine off and then using some kind of torque thing...like a wrench but it clamps down i dont know, we just wrenched the others off and then used them on the new endlinks.....i highly recomend you replace both at the same time though....

so....cut it

xluben

Reaction score
anyone have pics of the bolts removed?

i'm worried that i'm gonna cut them and then half the bolt will still be stuck in.

i might need the "torque thing" described above, to get them out.

i just missed out on the eibach sway bar (23mm!) for $100 on v6p :(

i'm thinking of getting the TL-S sway bar (19mm) and putting it on when i do this.

and i have NOT gotten the other side off. once the one side got stripped i didn't attempt the other side.

xluben

Reaction score

BostonAndy

Reaction score
I replaced my front end-links a few weeks ago. The hex was stripped, and it was a bitch to get off. It is a very poor desing. There is no way to replace a nut/stud or any part involved in the link, the whole link itself must be replaced. It is deffinately a good idea to replace them in pairs. There is no danger with driving w/o a sway bar, just poor handling. When you fix it, you will feel like you modded your car because it will handle so much better.
When I replaced my links, there was basically no way to get them off without destroying them. I pried the link off of the back to expose the ball on the back of the stud that makes up the ball joint, clamped vice grips onto the ball, and used an impact gun to remove the nut on the front. I believe that I still have the destroyed links somewhere, and I do have the day off tomorrow so I will try to post some pics to show you what I am talking about.

xluben

Reaction score
BostonAndy said:
I replaced my front end-links a few weeks ago. The hex was stripped, and it was a bitch to get off. It is a very poor desing. There is no way to replace a nut/stud or any part involved in the link, the whole link itself must be replaced. It is deffinately a good idea to replace them in pairs. There is no danger with driving w/o a sway bar, just poor handling. When you fix it, you will feel like you modded your car because it will handle so much better.
When I replaced my links, there was basically no way to get them off without destroying them. I pried the link off of the back to expose the ball on the back of the stud that makes up the ball joint, clamped vice grips onto the ball, and used an impact gun to remove the nut on the front. I believe that I still have the destroyed links somewhere, and I do have the day off tomorrow so I will try to post some pics to show you what I am talking about.
thanks! very helpful info!

i was pretty sure it would have to be a destructive removal.

since mine are partially loose, i think i can just cut the bolts in half with a sawzal and everything should fall out....right?

BostonAndy

Reaction score
DSCN3102.jpg

DSCN3103.jpg

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3105.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

DSCN3107.jpg

xluben

Reaction score
THANKS!

so, if i cut anywhere on the threaded part it should come out, right?

Back