Making a V-TEC indicator light

dynasty

Reaction score
okay. i finally did it. it was only 3 plugs. not 5. same exact like yours. the thing is, the LED is already on when i start the engine? i haven't test drive it yet because i took off my bumper to paint but is it suppose to be on?

dynasty

Reaction score
uh oh. does that mean my vtec is kicking in while i'm in parking? LOL. it doesn't bother me very much but it lights up when i'm on idle.

SteadFast

Reaction score
I put mine in last weekend, works great, mounted the LED between the maplights pics soon

jdm-dynasty- it should only kick in around 2500rpm give or take, defitly not at idle... are you SURE you tapped the right wire? Its the only Green/Yellow wire on the ECU harness (in the middle connector)

dynasty

Reaction score
yea man. haha. this is soo weird. it's the second connector which is in the middle. but if you want, i'll even count which wire it is from left to right and which row/column. i gave up when it didn't work. i'm still new to this accord since i received it this summer.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I've heard this can actually be pretty risky? So what's the risks here possible frying the ECU? or the worst that could happen is cut the vtec wire in two and have to resolder?

dynasty

Reaction score
well, for me, i haven't cut the wire. i kinda cut the outer piece and the wire is still connected. i know i took the risk but since it doesn't work, i took it off. =)

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Well if it was me doing it I would have cut away the sheathing and soldered the connection..well after I hooked the wire up taped it and test ran it first..I'm not to keen on just splicing wires with taps on important electrical parts (ECU etc..)..I swear I read somewhere that this can actually cause problems with your ECU or vtec

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
Well if it was me doing it I would have cut away the sheathing and soldered the connection..well after I hooked the wire up taped it and test ran it first..I'm not to keen on just splicing wires with taps on important electrical parts (ECU etc..)..I swear I read somewhere that this can actually cause problems with your ECU or vtec

Not soldering, or the VTEC Light in general?? I soldered just because I know it's a more solid connection that's less prone to moving around.

SteadFast

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
Thats what I did, solder FTW! I stoped using taps when i got my old civic... my prelude was tapped all over the place for audio, ect... soldering acually turned out to be cheaper too... Usually I shrink wrap instead of tape over the connections.

I havent heard of any damage, I hope it'll be fine... seems to be after 2 months

talontsiawd

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
I've heard this can actually be pretty risky? So what's the risks here possible frying the ECU? or the worst that could happen is cut the vtec wire in two and have to resolder?
There is no risk as long as you don't short anything. Even if you did, i'm pretty sure there will be a fuse. At the very least, your ecu fuse or similar should trip first. The biggest risk would be cutting the wire and having trouble soldering it back together. That's why any time i have to tap an ecu wire for anything, on any car, i tap atleast 5-8 inchs away. That gives plenty of space to resplice the wire if need be.

But, if your worried about it, skip it. To me a vtec light is pretty gimmicy. Unless you have a vtec control and enough mods that your really changed your powerband.

Back