New Engine options

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
I have a 99 accord w/ a F23a4 engine and automatic transmission. Spent $400 getting the cylinder head machined and looked over at a shop and reinstalled. Came to find out that the oil leaking in coolant system in probably due to cracked block. The mechanic said that Honda had problems with that motor (maybe a manufacturing defect). Orginally was thinking of just replacing the bottom end motor and wondered what my options were. He said to get a B20 bottom end and use my F23 and auto trans. Would this work? Any HP loss? Or should I Swap an H22a or get a used F23, just as long as i could still use my original automatic trans? Is it a little more logical to just get a whole used engine replacement and sell my F23 head? H22..F23...any other options? Opinions greatly appreciated.

Morgan

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
I doubt a b20 would be a "Plug-n-Play" solution. You would have to look into buying a whole engine, bottom end or, H22 swap.

DXaccorD

Reaction score
I recommend doing the H22 swap. Obviously a lot more power, a lot of your questions can be answered here since it has been done already by many people on this forum, but obviously you would have to lose the auto tranny. GL :hihi:

dvilla5506

Reaction score
Cudnt he just get the auto tranny for the h22....mite loose hp but if he wants to keep it auto it wud be a quik one

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
b20 has no tork nor powah to get the accord moving :lawl:

h23 vtec is a nice motor u can get for cheap... i forgot what the website was :thinking:

hotaccord243

Reaction score
I have never heard of this "problem" that Honda has with the F series motor. ever.

But why not use the extra money for a manual swap or something, since you won't get that much power out of swapping a motor. Plus you can pick up a full longblock for 300 or less from a junkyard and be done with it and no headaches. Trust me i have bought prob 4 bottom ends/full motors all for under 350... just my .02 cents

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i second this. find a new mechanic.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

exactly....i love how mechanics that don't know anything tell people when there is something wrong..."yea this motor has known manufacturer defect problems" and the person is so likely to believe this because of their current position....

the f23 is a solid motor and can be had for really cheap...just swap in a new one and be done...with a new mechanic...who won't lie to you

Back