OEM vs Clear

JEER42

Reaction score
Nothing looks better on coupes than the stocks the way they are. If you're going to ruin a set of tail lights, I say tint the clear ones since they are so unattractive the way they are.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Nothing looks better on coupes than the stocks the way they are. If you're going to ruin a set of tail lights, I say tint the clear ones since they are so unattractive the way they are.

x2

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're asking which one will look better tinted, the clear or red? I say neither, just keep the oem the way it is.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you tint them a darker red, it looks good. When it's to the point of being black is when it starts looking not so great.

Cpyro

Reaction score
If you do two light coats of VHT on ur OEMs theres a chance than they will come out a like a dark candy red. if its too dark u can wet sand them with like 2k grit (and then hit them hard with rubbing compound which u will have to do anyways). I would like to see the ebay set tinted just because the shape of the lights is different, but not sure how well that clear would tint.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I have always been curious how those clear taillights would look if you put red tint over them. I am talking about doing to where it would look like an OEM red plastic. I think it could look good and modernize the look of the lights but it also may not look quite right. I would give that a try if you want something different. It could come out nice.

Madelinot169

Reaction score
Yeah but i dont want to keep the cheap ebay ones on tho, Water gets in them really easily and they arent clear anymore. They look nasty and old as ****. I think i'm just gonna put the OEM ones back on. Thing was tho, i wanted them black because later on i plan on getting black housed headlights and black rims and lips and stuff.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Yeah but i dont want to keep the cheap ebay ones on tho, Water gets in them really easily and they arent clear anymore. They look nasty and old as ****. I think i'm just gonna put the OEM ones back on. Thing was tho, i wanted them black because later on i plan on getting black housed headlights and black rims and lips and stuff.

You can seal them. Just get some silicone, take your time going around cleanly. You can make it unnoticeable. You can also polish them out but if you plan on coating them with spray, you can just wetsand them and no need to polish.

In my opinion, black tails are very played out. This was the fad in 1998, when I first got into cars. I have seen maybe 10 cars in the last 5 years where I felt it really made the car look better, hundreds where it looked like a cheap accessory add on, even when done correctly.

That said, I really think you should at least try red. It may give you a more modern look that is understated. It may not look good either. But, it will take you a few hours to reseal, polish and apply some red tint (i would do film). It will be cheap as well. If I wasn't broke, I would pick them up off you and give it a shot. I know I am pushing my own idea on you, sorry if you are really uninterested.

Back