Opinions: F20B Superchargered

mlopezcg69

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal I have a 2001 Couple 5SD with 4400 alittle less right now. Spent the last 2 weeks reading threads. From what a readed thinking of buying F20B engine for the High rpm power and add a custom supercharger to solve the low end power issues. Think this is a good ideal? Want something fast relible since its going to be a daily. Work going to be done over a 1 1/2yr to 2 yr period of time.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Fast/Reliable/Cheap

You pick two. You seem to be set on fast and reliable, and since you're even considering a swap then custom supercharger for the swap, cost must not be an issue.

My opinion? Have fun!

nyknick1015

Reaction score
fast and reliable... the f20b is fast and reliable enough IMO... enough gain almost equal of boosting a stock f23 on 5 lbs. and also more fuel efficent than boosting. also if u have the $$ to fit the supercharger than its fine but just to let u know, its illegal to modify the upper firewall because thats where the saftey VIN is etched to the frame to tell what car it is. Thats usually around the area where the supercharger manifold would be.

mlopezcg69

Reaction score
Well, answer to the first question "why not turbo"- I live in NY and a turbo wit the blowout valve would bring attension that is not wanted. Cost not to much of an issue. And thanx for the firewall tip going to look into that.

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Well, answer to the first question "why not turbo"- I live in NY and a turbo wit the blowout valve would bring attension that is not wanted. Cost not to much of an issue. And thanx for the firewall tip going to look into that.

i live in NY too and never had a problem?
theres a crap load of turbo'd cars in NY :thinking:

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Good luck trying to fav the supercharger to fit, you'll have to remove a crap load of metal from the firewall and even then it might not fit.

AFAccord

Reaction score

The way I see it is this:

- An F20b is just a de-stroked H22 with less aftermarket support.

- Going from the F23 to the F20b is going down in torque. I'm not familiar with the F20b's gear ratios, but it's safe to say that an Accord with stock F23 with an H23/H22 transmission will pull harder than an Accord with an F20b swap.

It's basically a torque to gearing game. F20b will have better gearing, but less torque. Unless you're after it for the "whoa that's an F20b!" factor, and want to be part of the "swapped and still slow" club, you'd get better results swapping an H22. Then at least you'd have more aftermarket support.

As far as a turbo being noisy and drawing unwanted attention, that's false. There are quieter blow-off valves available than what most people buy, because most people want the attention. Also, a turbo'd car will be much quieter on the intake AND exhaust side than an all-motor car (especially a high revving small displacement F20b or H22) because the exiting exhaust and incoming air both must travel through the turbine housings. Don't forget that superchargers whine constantly when ever you're on the throttle.

Just some food for thought.

Back