Passenger side axle leak

cronic2geeze

Reaction score
I own a 2002 ex sedan with 5 speed manual trans. I've searched everywhere for some answers regarding this. Passenger side axle broke a couple months back and had it replaced. Ever since then I've been having problems with it leaking fluid. Had the Axle seal replaced 3 times already (1 from napa, 1 from autozone and 1 oem) and the axle replaced twice. My trans guy had said that the trans looked good and that there was no play when the axle is in place. I've seen similar post for this problem but it was for the Automatic transmissions only, being that the differential bearing has gone bad. Wondering if it was the same problem for the manual's? Any help would be appreciated...

jdmcg3

Reaction score
do you mean it is "leaking" grease everywhere. cause thats the only fluid like stuff in a axle. and if it is in fact grease is what is leaking out.. then you have a ripped axle boot. but that really doesnt make any sense because youv already replaced the axle twice. :thinking:

maybe its time to take it to the dealer

cronic2geeze

Reaction score
do you mean it is "leaking" grease everywhere. cause thats the only fluid like stuff in a axle. and if it is in fact grease is what is leaking out.. then you have a ripped axle boot. but that really doesnt make any sense because youv already replaced the axle twice. :thinking:

maybe its time to take it to the dealer

yea, it's not axle grease. It's leaking from where the axle goes in. I did have a Honda tech look at it when I had my inspection back in Jan, but, they said it was the Seal, which I said I had replaced 3 times already, with the current Seal being an OEM... :sad:

619rcr

Reaction score
Get another axle. Make sure its not a reman. Probably machined wrong or has a burr on the mating surface to the seal.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Replace your axle seal a fourth time with an OEM one once again. Whether you or the tech who installs it...make sure you drive the seal in only until the outer bore is flush with the tranny casing. NOT AS FAR until the protruding edge is flush with the casing.
Transmission%20Rear%20Seal.JPG

This might sound weird but once you get a seal in your hand and look at it, you'll understand what i'm talking about.

Picture below to help out. Flush so the tranny casing is flush with the red area...not the yellow. In addition when you do passanger side you must drain the tranny fluid first or it'll be coming straight at you once you take the seal off.
w01331641421nok.jpg

In addition make sure the aftermarket axle you are using has the same bore diameter on the tranny insert side as the OEM. When removing the old seal be careful not to scratch the seal housing. When installing the new seal use a pvc tube the diameter of the seal and a rubber mallet if you do not have a seal installing kit/tool. Tap it in evenly on all sides not one side first and then the other.

Did u not see he said he replaced the seal 3 times already?
Did you NOT SEE that after 3 times its still leaking.

Last edited:
Back