Power Steering Removal

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
I might be in need of some more space in the engine bay soon ;) Im looking to remove the power steering.

Of the 2 hoses attached to the pump, one is a rubber hose crimped on, easily removed. However the other hose is a small diameter metal pipe held on with 2 small bolts. Any advise on how to attach these 2 hoses together to keep the fluid in the system, just bypassing the pump with no belt attached.

I know this has been done several times, but a search provided no results on bypassing the pump.

DSC02288.jpg

Last edited:

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
I suggest you remove your power steering belt and drive your car like that for a week. It may not be too bad with oem wheels but let me tell you that **** gets annoying.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
i looooovvvee not having power steering.. its annoying to me when i do have to drive a car with it..

let me just say the car drives better with the whole pump removed and all fluid drained out vs. just removing the belt

i just removed everything that i could.. but that one metal hose you mentioned wasnt able to be removed.. so i just stuffed a small piece of a rag in there and called it good. then i just tucked it behind the intake manifold

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
I would like to keep it a wet system, however I don't want to have to be pushing the hydraulic fluid through the pump by hand.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Driving a 3000lb Accord without PS becomes a pain in the *** real quick, no matter how you slice it, and IMO, it's not worth the effort of removing it. You save less than 5lbs by doing so, and in turn make a huge sacrifice in drivability. The 6GA might not have the best steering assist ratio and feedback, but removing PS isn't helping that in the least. You may feel more resistance from the road's surface, but that's not what the experts are talking about when they discuss steering feedback. You're just making it harder on yourself to respond to spirited or emergency maneuvers.

I may not be speaking from experience, but I believe the correct way is to cut the upper hose just below the metal joint (the one half way down the hose, not at the PS pump), and use a barbed fitting to loop them near the steering rack. The lower return line (hard-line) runs from the reservoir back to a rubber hose before entering the steering rack. Ideally you should connect those two hoses together as short as possible, though I don't know how viable that option is with the engine in the car. It sure would be difficult to get down there and move things around.

Last edited:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
I may not be speaking from experience, but I believe the correct way is to cut the upper hose just below the metal joint (the one half way down the hose, not at the PS pump), and use a barbed fitting to loop them near the steering rack. The lower return line (hard-line) runs from the reservoir back to a rubber hose before entering the steering rack. Ideally you should connect those two hoses together as short as possible, though I don't know how viable that option is with the engine in the car. It sure would be difficult to get down there and move things around.

This is the way I though it was done.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Well just to throw it out there, removing power steering doesn't improve drive-ability. Most pro auto-x, grip, drift, and even drag cars have p/s whether it be pump or electric driven. If your trying to reduce engine drag, your not going to see any noticeable gains. You might as well get rid of that a/c too while your at it. If you really want to do it, it's obviously your choice I'm just trying to make sure your not buying into peoples bs stories. Oh another thing ever since my p/s was taken out I noticed that my steering rack began to leak.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
OP did say he was doing it to make more room. So that would be a better reason than the others.

Back